Easy Beef Meatball Recipe
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Easy Beef Meatball Recipe is made using ingredients most have on hand. The meatballs are moist and full of flavor!
Find this recipe and more on my blog HERE: https://sugarylogic.com/easy-beef-meatball-recipe/
I have the fondest memories of my mom making homemade meatballs on various Sundays. She would make a big batch of sauce and meatballs to freeze for future meals. We would enjoy the fruits of her labor with spaghetti and toasted bread.
I wanted to recreate this food memory but lighten the labor load. I created this beef meatball recipe, and quite frankly nailed it on the first go-around. They are moist and full of flavor. The recipe is easy to follow too! Pair with your favorite jarred sauce, including any one of Jersey Italian Gravy's sauces, and you are good to go.
- Ground Beef - This recipe calls for 85/15 (85% lean and 15% fat) ground beef. Anything with a similar profile will do fine. For the best flavor, use grass-fed beef.
- Panko Bread Crumbs - Recipes vary in terms of the "breading" added into meatballs. I opted for panko bread crumbs for their texture, flavor, and ease to find.
- Whole Milk - Milk adds moisture. It assists in keeping the bread crumbs from drying out the meatballs.
- Seasonings - A lot of recipes will call for fresh herbs. I designed this recipe to use dried herbs, which most always have on hand. You will need: dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Parmesan Cheese - Use finely grated for the best incorporation.
- Minced Garlic and White Onion - Just like the cheese, finely mince the garlic and onion for the best incorporation.
- Egg - You will need one large egg, beaten. The egg helps bind the mixture together.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the surface with cooking spray.
- Combine the milk and bread crumbs: In a small bowl, stir together the milk and bread crumbs. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until absorbed.
- Mix together all of the ingredients: In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, minced garlic, minced onion, parmesan cheese, soaked bread crumbs (and any remaining milk), and all of the seasonings. Gently mix with your hands until everything is combined.
- Scoop the meatballs: Using a medium cookie scoop or your hands, round (15) golf ball size balls of the beef mixture. Place onto the prepared baking sheet, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and the temperature, reads 160 degrees F.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- After hand mixing, chill the beef mixture for 30 minutes to an hour to firm it up before scooping and shaping.
- This recipe is designed for pantry ingredients. However, if you have fresh herbs, use them here! Substitute ¼ cup of fresh, chopped basil and 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh, chopped oregano.
- Transfer the meatballs to a tray lined with paper towels to absorb some of the greases before adding the meatballs to your favorite sauce.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the beef mixture before forming the meatballs for a subtle kick.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you know when meatballs are done cooking? The meatballs are done cooking when golden brown in color and their internal temperature reads 160°F.
Can you freeze homemade meatballs? Yes, you can freeze homemade meatballs. Store them in a freezer-safe zip-top bag or an airtight container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Can I substitute other ground meats for the beef in this recipe? I have not experimented with any other meats other than ground beef. However, a 50/50 mixture of beef and another form, such as pork, would work well with this recipe.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- 10-Minute Hearts of Palm Pasta
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Easy Bread Dipping Oil
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
This easy ground beef meatball recipe delivers moist, flavorful meatballs. Enjoy any day of the week with your favorite jarred or homemade tomato sauce. If you are looking for a homemade sauce recipe, start with my Basic Tomato Sauce. Comment below if you make these yummy meatballs!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review on my website!
Easy Beef Meatball Recipe
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, I used gluten-free.
- 1 lb ground beef I used 85/15, grass-fed beef.
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup white onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the surface with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk and bread crumbs. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, until absorbed.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, minced garlic, minced onion, parmesan cheese, soaked bread crumbs (and any remaining milk), and all of the seasonings. Gently mix with your hands until everything is combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or your hands, round (15) golf ball size balls of the beef mixture. Place onto the prepared baking sheet, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and the internal temperature reads 160°F.
- Serve with your favorite jarred or homemade sauce and cooked pasta.