Spicy Queso Dip for Two
This Spicy Queso Dip For Two is a simple and crowd-pleasing snack! Make it in less than 20 minutes and serve with crunchy tortilla chips!
I love queso dip, but sometimes I don’t want a huge batch of leftovers. All that melty, cheesy goodness - why waste it? This recipe is the perfect amount for just 2 or 3 people. You’ll be lucky if you end up with leftovers!
What is queso?
The word queso translates to “cheese” in Spanish. So basically it’s a cheese dip!
There are a couple of ways to make queso. This small-batch recipe is made with a simple roux (a mixture of butter and flour), milk, and cheese. You’ll find many different versions in jars at the grocery store or in restaurants, but I feel that the best queso is homemade.
A Texas staple
You might be surprised to learn that queso is not a traditional food from Mexico! While it does use flavors popular in Mexican dishes, like jalapenos and chipotle chili, queso happens to be the unofficial food of Texas.
For step-by-step photos and extra tips check out the post on CupofZest.com!
Watch the video on the Cup of Zest YouTube page!
Spicy Queso Dip for Two
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot about 1/2 shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno about 1/2 jalapeno, seeded if you want it less spicy
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder regular chili powder works too!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk, divided
- 1 ounce cream cheese, room temperature & cut into small pieces
- 3 ounces block pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- chips to serve
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add shallot, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup of milk and cream cheese. Whisking constantly, cook until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in remaining ¼ cup milk and cook until combined and starting to steam.
- Remove from heat, and add in shredded cheese. Whisk constantly until the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cilantro and serve immediately with chips!
- *If your dip isn’t hot enough, place over low heat, whisk constantly until desired temperature, adding a little more milk as needed.