Air Fried Onion Rings
If you saw an onion ring, would you answer it?
Onion rings have always been a favorite bar snack for me, but the rings can often be too greasy. The air fryer solves that problem! Crisp, flavorful, and not greasy. Plus, this recipe is plant based!
If you haven’t yet invested in an air fryer, I highly recommend getting one to add to your kitchen appliance collection. I use mine for onion rings, veggies, salmon, you name it! So convenient
Make sure to flag this recipe for your Super Bowl party or other sporting event get togethers. Sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Air Fried Onion Rings
- -2 1 oz bags of Kibo chickpea or lentil chips - I used the Pico De Gallo Chickpea Chips and Maui Onion Lentil chips (any brand will work)
- - 1 large sweet onion
- - 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- - 3/4 cup all-purpose flour divided
- - 1 tbsp cornstarch
- - 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- - 1/4 tsp sea salt
- - 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- - 1 tsp garlic powder
- - 1/2 tsp black pepper
- - Olive oil as needed
- Peel and slice onion into 1/2 slices and separate the rings. Set aside. Crush the Kibo chips into almost a bread crumb texture. Set out 3 shallow bowls. Combine 1/2 cup flour, garlic powder, sea salt, smoked paprika, and pepper in one shallow bowl. Whisk to combine. In second bowl, add non-dairy milk, cornstarch and remaining flour. Whisk until flour and cornstarch dissolved in milk. In the final bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs and Kibo chips.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375F. Take each slice of onion and dip in milk mixture. Next, dip in flour mixture and coat thoroughly. Dip in milk mixture again to cover flour before dipping into Kibo chip and breadcrumb mixture. Coat as well as you can and feel free to use olive oil, as needed, to assist in sticking the crumb coating to the onion slice. Set dipped rings on a clean plate until ready to cook. Spray down the air fryer basket with olive oil and set dipped rings into basket in a single layer. Don’t stack the rings in fryer. Working in batches, cook for 6-8 minutes depending on desired crispness. Remove from basket and continue with next batch until finished. Serve immediately (or keep warm in oven). Add desired dipping sauce and ENJOY!
- You can use any brand of chickpea or lentil chips in this recipe
Published January 31st, 2023 6:18 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!