Easy Beef & Broccoli
Today I’m featuring another family favorite…this 30 minute recipe for Easy Beef and Broccoli is packed with flavor, loaded with juicy steak; crisp, tender broccoli and has a delicious, healthy and tangy sauce, that is easily spice adjustable. I bet even your most finicky eater will like it!
30 minute Easy Beef & Broccoli is actually more like “22 Minute Beef & Broccoli” but that doesn’t roll off the tongue. Yes, I timed it, I wanted to make sure I was done in under 30 minutes.
Other than making sure you have the ingredients thawed and on hand, this meal can be totally last minute. In fact, I decided on Friday morning we’d be eating Beef & Broccoli for dinner that evening (a rare moment of planning).
I took out a pound of skirt steak from the freezer in the morning, made sure I had broccoli and the rest of the ingredients are almost always in my pantry/fridge.
First things first though, we love our beef and broccoli over steamed rice, so get that going while you assemble the rest of the recipe. Or if preferred cook up some lo mein style noodles, both equally as tasty! White or brown rice works great!
PREPPING SAUCE FOR BEEF
The sauce takes the longest to prep; like maybe 4-6 minutes, longer if you are taking phone calls or answering texts. (wink-wink)In a medium bowl, pour in soy sauce. We like to use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos which tastes just like soy sauce, but use the “soy sauce or soy alternative” of your choice, I’ve used Tamari, Low-Sodium Soy, GF Soy Sauce, and even Coconut Aminos!
Add cornstarch and stir to mix. Mince or press your garlic into the bowl. I was feeling lazy and just used my garlic press. Add sherry (optional), I typically don’t have sherry on hand but I generally have Marsala, Madeira or a Tawny Port, which works nicely in the place of sherry. This is totally optional.
Pour in honey, try and buy local honey, it’s wonderful for allergies and much, much more!
TIP | If you spray your mini measuring cup with a little spray oil your honey will slip right out, making cleanup a breeze.
FRESH GINGER TIP | Did you know you can freeze ginger root and grate it from it’s frozen state? Great way to make sure you always have fresh ginger on hand. I use my handy dandy microplane, one of my favorite kitchen tools.
Slice the steak and prep the broccoli florets. I used skirt steak this time, because I had some in my freezer, but I prefer using sirloin or strip steak or even flank over skirt. Just slice it thin and try to trim the fat off.
In a nice large and heavy skillet pour in a tablespoon of olive oil, heat to medium-high heat.Carefully toss in the meat, browning quickly on both sides. Stirring or tossing often to evenly and quickly cook the meat (that’s what’ll keep it tender). Saute about 3-4 minutes until almost completely browned.
Toss in your broccoli florets and stir around mixing in with the beef, stir-frying for a minute or two.
BROCCOLI TIP| If you like your broccoli super crisp wait on the above step, but I like mine fork tender, still crisp and green, but not super crunchy.
Make sure you give the sauce one last whisk before pouring into the pan. Pour in your sauce and stir to coat and until thickened and bubbly. Cook an extra 2 minutes (add broccoli right after the sauce if you like it crisper).
Best if served immediately over rice or noodles, but it’ll still taste good if it waits awhile too, your broccoli just won’t be as bright green.Serve your easy beef and broccoli with a little sriracha sauce or as we like it with a little sweet chili sauce.
Easy Beef & Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb flank steak (strip, sirloin, or skirt steak may also be substituted) trimmed of fat & sliced thin
- 1 head of broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (Bragg's Liquid Aminos, Tamari, GF Soy Sauce or alternatives may be used)
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tawny port (Sherry, Marsala, Madeira may be used) - OPTIONAL
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Pinch of Red Pepper Fakes (up to ¼ teaspoon depending on desired heat)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- If steaming your own rice, start before you do anything else. In a medium bowl mix together the following ingredients: soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic, port, honey, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and beef broth. Whisk well, set aside.
- Trim steak of any excess fat and slice into bit size, thin slices. Cut your broccoli into bite size florets. Heat pan on medium-high heat and drizzle in olive oil. Once pan is hot, carefully place in meat and quick toss/stir fry to brown both sides. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli and keep heat up to stir fry broccoli and finish cooking the meat, 2-3 minutes. Pour in the sauce (whisking first to make sure it's all combined) and stir until thick and glossy.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until broccoli is done to your desired taste. Serve immediately over rice or noodles. Garnish with sesame seeds or red pepper flakes if desired. Serve with sweet chili sauce or sriracha sauce if desired.
- Improvise, if you don't have a specific product (ie. sesame oil, use another oil), don't let it stop you from making this delicious dish.