It's no secret how much of a fan of granola that I am – I could through a jar in a couple days! I have been experimenting lately with making savoury granolas too and this one was great. Its perfect sprinkled onto a soup or salad, and really brings an extra element of flavour and texture to the dish. The best thing about the recipe is it’s versatility – you can add in whatever herbs and spices you have in or is to your preference. Likewise, almost any nuts will work great. Make sure you sure you roast on a low heat and keep a careful eye while it is in the oven since it can start to brown quickly.
- 100g oats (1 1/2 CUP)
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Egg white
- ½ TBSP Soy sauce
- 1 TSP Honey
- 100g (1 CUP) Mixed Nuts, Chopped (see tip)
- 1 TSP Salt Flakes
- 1 TSP Cumin seeds
- ½ TSP Dried Mixed Herbs
- 1 TBSP Flaxseeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/290°F
- In a mixing bowl, add the oats, oil, egg white, soy sauce, honey, spices and herbs, flaxseeds and salt and mix together well until all the oats are coated.
- Spread out evenly on a baking tray in quite a thin layer but try to encourage some of the oats to stay together in clumps. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, take the tray out and mix the granola around, then return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool before adding the nuts and a little extra salt. Store in an air tight container.
- I used pre-roasted nuts for this recipe so added them to the granola base after roasted. You can also use raw nuts and roast them alongside the base or if you prefer a crunchier texture, add raw nuts after cooking.