Cap'n Crunch French Toast
Crunchy, sweet French Toast is coated with crushed Cap'n Crunch cereal and baked in the oven until it's crispy and browned on the outside, and tender on the inside.
Would you like to make something sweet, crunchy and absolutely decadent for breakfast or brunch? May I suggest several slices of Cap’n Crunch French Toast?
Crispy bacon is the perfect accompaniment (and to learn how to make that beautiful wavy bacon, visit my sister site BENSA Bacon Lovers Society!)
Add some fresh fruit on the side, and you can boast that your French Toast is “part of a balanced breakfast.”
Let's get started and add some CRUNCH to your morning!
You can use any kind of bread you like for this recipe. I had the bakery slice a fresh loaf of white bread on the thin side.
Whisk together 3 eggs, 2/3 cup milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow bowl.
Now comes the fun part, because you get to smash stuff! Pour about 2 1/3 cups of Cap’n Crunch cereal in zip-lock bag and smash it with a rolling pin, a bottle, a ball peen hammer or your favorite smashing implement.
I wanted some small pieces and some large pieces, but you can make the crumbs as big, small, irregular or uniform as you like.
Pour the crumbs in a shallow dish, and get ready to DIP!
Dip six bread slices in the egg mixture and cover generously with the crumbs. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once you’re done you may have some sticky crumbs left in the bowl. Gently press those to the bread for maximum adhesion.
Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 9 to 10 minutes, or until the French toast is lightly browned and heated through. Watch carefully during the last couple minutes of cooking so that it doesn’t over-brown.
Just before serving, sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and serve with real maple syrup.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoy this Captain Crunch French Toast, I’d be thrilled if you gave it a 5-star rating.
Cap'n Crunch French Toast
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bread
- 2 1/3 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- maple syrup
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until blended.
- Put the Cap'n Crunch cereal in a zip-lock back and use a rolling pin to crush it in both large and small crumbs.
- Pour Cap'n Crunch crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, then in the crumbs, patting to help coating adhere. Arrange on prepared pan. Press remaining crumbs on the top of the French toast.
- Bake 9-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve drizzled with maple syrup.