Creamy Lemon Pie
Sweet, tart, creamy lemon pie – this pie needs only 3 ingredients + your crust! Use a premade crust or make your own (recipe included). Rich & delicious – no one would guess how easy it is to make!
Dessert Made Simple!
This Creamy Lemon Pie is of those desserts that tastes far more complex than it it is. It’s a tart, creamy custard – almost cheesecake reminiscent.
Impressive it is, intricate it is not.
It takes only three ingredients to make the filling of this pie. Lemon juice, egg yolks and a can of sweetened condensed milk. Yup, that’s it. Mix them up, pour that goodness into a graham cracker crust and bake. How easy was that?
Funny Story – This Lemon Pie Needs To Be Baked
One more mention of what this pie is not. It is not a “no bake lemon icebox pie”.
Why would I mention this? I shared this recipe a few years back on a recipe sharing site. I had not one, but a few people, comment that this was a lemon icebox pie. The pie they were referring to was a “no bake” pie – the lemon “cooked” the eggs.
Funny enough (or not), in that same comment, a person complained that the pie did not set up for them. Really? They decided to not bake the pie, totally not follow the recipe and then complain that it didn’t work. Ugh.
Does lemon juice “cook” raw eggs? Although I have never tried it, my understanding is that it would take a day or two for the eggs to properly set.
Moral of the story – this Creamy Lemon Pie here gets baked 🙂
Ingredients + Tips
This pie is best with a homemade graham cracker crust. A simple homemade graham cracker crust with it’s sweet, brown buttery and just a hint of salt goodness totally completes this pie.
But…you can always use a premade crust if you don’t want to make a homemade crust.
Lemons juice best at room temperature, so if they’re in the fridge, pull them out a few hours before go time. 5 – 7 average sized lemons will give you 3/4 cup of juice.
This Creamy Lemon Pie is easy to mix up and bake. It’s served best plain or with a dollop of whipped cream.
I love this pie during the winter months – the bright, tart, sweetness of lemons makes me think of warmer months past and warmer months to come.
If you’re a lemon head, this pie is for you! It’s lush, creamy and tart – but not too tart.
Creamy Lemon Pie
- For crust:
- 1 1/2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon salted butter melted
- For Pie Filling:
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice 5-7 average sized lemons at room temp
- 4 egg yolks
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter until thoroughly combined.
- Press firmly into a 8″ or 9″ pie plate.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Juice lemons. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat yolks and condensed milk with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until mixture lightens up.
- Slowly mix in lemon juice – mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes or until pie is set.
- Transfer to wire rack.
- Cool until pie reaches room temperature. Chill and store in refrigerator. Pie should be served chilled.
- Top with whipped cream if desired. Enjoy 🙂
- Lemons juice best at room temperature, so if they’re in the fridge, pull them out a few hours before bake time. 5 – 7 average sized lemons will give you 3/4 cup of juice.