Avocado Tuna Salad
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Avocado Tuna Salad is a delicious blend of avocado, tuna, and fresh ingredients. It is perfect for healthy lunches, scooped atop toasted bread, or greens.
Find this recipe and more on my blog HERE: https://sugarylogic.com/avocado-tuna-salad/
If you are like me then you are also a lover of avocados. Avocados' creamy texture, healthy fats, and versatility make them an ideal candidate for salads. In the case of this avocado tuna salad recipe, the avocado provides substantial flavor and the creamy texture we all desire for tuna salad.
This recipe uses one ripe avocado. If you have extra ripened avocados hanging around, try making a batch of this Poke Bowl Recipe with Shrimp and Salmon or The Best Guacamole.
- This recipe is incredibly simple.
- This salad is a fantastic lunch option!
- It is healthy; one serving is less than 150 calories.
- This salad is versatile. The ingredients can easily be substituted for others.
- Avocado tuna salad is gosh darn delicious!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Avocado - You will need one ripe avocado.
- Tuna - One 7oz. can of tuna makes one full recipe, enough for four servings.
- Red Onion - I am partial to red onion when it comes to salads, however, white onion and scallions taste fantastic in this salad too.
- Celery - Celery is necessary for flavor, but more importantly, that delightful crunch we love.
- Cilantro - As we all know, cilantro tastes fantastic with avocado. If you do not like cilantro, use fresh parsley.
- Lemon Juice - Acid is needed to preserve the avocado and keep it from browning. Lime juice and pickle juice can be used in substitution for the lemon. If using pickle juice, add a little at a time and taste as you go.
- Olive Oil - Use a good-quality oil, preferably an extra-virgin olive oil. Avocado oil is another great oil option.
- Salt & Pepper - Salt and pepper are added to taste.
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine, gently smashing the avocado into the other ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you have more than one ripe avocado, store the second in the refrigerator. Pull it out in the morning that you plan to use it. The cool temperature of the refrigerator helps slow down the ripening time.
- If not serving right away or if you have leftovers, squeeze a little extra lemon or lime juice over the salad to help preserve it.
- For extra crunch and texture, add a ¼ cup of diced English cucumber. It adds an overall delightful freshness to the salad in addition to added texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you store avocado tuna salad? Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How long does avocado tuna salad last? Because avocados brown when exposed to oxygen, this salad will stay fresh for up to 2 days in the fridge. The lemon juice does help to preserve it, however, after the second day, it will start to brown.
How do you know when an avocado is ripe? The exterior color of the avocado is the first sign of ripening. Gently squeeze the avocado. While it should still have some firmness, if it gives way to the subtle pressure, it's ready.
What should I serve with avocado tuna salad? As stated above and seen in the pictures, this salad is delicious served on toasted bread. It can be served as a dip with fresh veggies or pita chips. In addition, this tuna salad is also great scooped atop a plate of salad greens.
You will LOVE this avocado tuna salad. It is a fresh take on the classic that tastes as good as it is healthy. Add this recipe to your lunch rotation; you will not regret it!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review on my website!
Avocado Tuna Salad
- 1 ripe avocado cut into pieces
- 1 7oz can tuna drained
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 cup celery minced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine, gently smashing the avocado into the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!