Cucumber Tuna Bites
Summer has finally arrived, and for me this is a time when I prefer to eat light frequent meals and avoid cooking as much as possible.
Tuna salad is something that we enjoy frequently for lunch. Most of the time I prepare the tuna salad as a sandwich on toasted bread with a few slices of cucumber, or I toss it a salad.
Today for lunch I was wanting something lighter and a change up from my usual salads. I decided to make these cute little tuna bites by filling up some cucumber cups with the tuna salad.
These were a super tasty and refreshing way to enjoy the tuna salad, plus they look a little fancy too!
I think they would make the perfect starter or side for a summer get together.
Read below for full recipe and instructions.
Begin by preparing the tuna salad. I like to keep it fairly simple and fresh. A splash of lemon juice in the tuna salad keeps it from tasting too heavy or fishy. The tuna salad can be prepared ahead of time and scooped into the cucumber cups just before serving.
Next wash and peel the cucumber. I like to peel stripes out of the cucumber skin for a fancier appearance, but you can leave the skin completely on also. Once the cucumber has been peeled slice into 1/2” to 1” thick pieces depending on personal preference.
To make the little cucumber cups scoop out the middle of the cucumber using a melon baller or a metal measuring spoon. Be careful not to go all the way through to the bottom.
Fill each cup up with the tuna salad.
I like to garnish them with some fresh green onions right before serving.
Cucumber Tuna Bites
- 1 can light flaked tuna (drained)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber
- sliced green onion to taste
- In a medium size bowl mix together 1 can light flaked tuna (drained), 1/4 cup mayonnaise ,1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp dill weed and salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and peel a cucumber removing only part of the peel in a striped pattern.
- Slice the cucumber into 1/2”-1” thick slices.
- Using a melon baller or metal measuring spoon scoop out the middle of the cucumber to make little cups.
- Fill the cucumber cups up with the tuna salad and garnish with some freshly sliced green onions.
- If making this dish ahead, keep the tuna separately from the cucumbers and assemble just before serving.