Fresh Bean Salad
When I think of beans I typically don’t think of a salad, but surprisingly beans are the perfect main ingredient for this hearty yet equally refreshing salad. I love making a huge bowl of this in the warmer months and serving it as a side with dinners, or taking it to family picnics. It’s practically no cook and can be made in a pinch.
The light sweet and tangy dressing pairs so perfectly with the beans, and a touch of fresh parsley brings this whole dish together.
You can of course add any other veggies you like into this salad but I love using as many different colours as possible to make the salad look irresistible. I find that sweeter vegetables such as corn and red peppers work the best with this salad.
So what do you think? Will you be making this salad with all of those extra cans of beans you collected over the winter that are just taking up space in your pantry?
For best results make sure to rinse and drain the beans well before adding them to the bowl.
I like to cut up the veggies approximately the size of the beans to ensure everything is equally incorporated.
This bean salad makes the perfect side for a summer bbq.
I just love all of the beautiful colours that are in this salad.
Fresh Bean Salad
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can chick peas
- 2 cups green beans (blanched and chopped)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- I like to begin by making the dressing to ensure the sugar has time to fully dissolve. Measure out the ingredients for the dressing, whisk together and set aside.
Assemble the salad
- If you are using fresh green beans, begin by blanching them in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Rinse and drain the canned beans well, and add them to a large bowl.
- Chop the parsley, red pepper, onion and cooled green beans. Add to the bowl.
- Add in the corn and give everything a good stir.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.