Modern Shepherd’s Pie
Looking to shake up your dinner? This meal is officially going to be a staple at our house! This ‘Modern Shepherd’s Pie’ is SO divine! It’s topped with creamy, melt-in-your-mouth sweet potatoes, with sausage and flavorful sautéed veggies underneath.
This may seem like an odd combination, but trust me- these flavors and textures are a match made in heaven!
This recipe is really versatile- the vegetables and protein can be swapped out for whatever you have on hand, but the mashed sweet potatoes are where it’s at.
So try this recipe out- I’m sure it will be a new favorite at your house as well!
Modern Shepherd’s Pie
- 3 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Honey or Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 small Yellow Onion
- 13oz Keilbasa Sausage
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup your favorite Shredded Cheese (I used Mozzarella)
- Peel and then chop up your 3 sweet potatoes into cubes. Place into a large pot- fill it with water until the sweet potatoes are fully submerged. Turn your stovetop on high heat and bring it to a boil- then turn to medium-low and cover for about 10 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, strain out the water and return to your pot. Turn your stove on low and add the 1/2 cup of milk and 2 Tbsp of Butter. Mash the sweet potatoes, then add and combine 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt, 2 Tbsp Honey, and 1 tsp Lemon Pepper. Set aside.
- Chop up the sausage, Red Bell Pepper, and Onion. Peel, slice, and then half the zucchini. Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil, then add 2 Tbsp of Minced Garlic and cook for about two minutes. Now add the vegetables and sausage, cooking on medium until softened. Add in 1/2 Tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning and Worcestershire sauce, along with the 3 Tbsp of Flour. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Once combined, put the vegetables and sausage into an oven-safe pan, somewhere between 8 and 9 inches. Spread the sweet potatoes on top, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of your favorite shredded cheese. Cook for 10 minutes, then broil for an additional 2-3 minutes. Enjoy!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published September 23rd, 2020 1:42 AM
Steps 1&2 refer to using the oven-I suspect these steps are actually done on the stovetop.
Can this be frozen before being put in the oven?