Easy Weeknight Shepherds Pie
Ahhh, shepherd's pie. Shepherd's pie is one of those dishes, that is unapologetically comforting, and no fuss. I mean, anything topped with a fluffy layer of decadent mashed potatoes is automatically a winner for me, but I promise you, mashed potatoes aside, this easy weeknight shepherd's pie is perfection.
This easy weeknight shepherd's pie can be assembled in the same cast iron skillet you make the filling in, or transferred into a baking dish if you're feeling fancy! If you have taken a good look around here, ya girl loves to serve and cook in her cast iron skillet, so I say go for it!
What Makes a Shepherd's Pie, Well, A Shepherd's Pie?
Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb. While lamb is delicious, I don't cook too much with it at home. If you are like me, fret not! I made this weeknight shepherd's pie with ground chicken, which is not only untraditional, but also a great way to lighten up traditional fattier meats. Truth be told, use whatever your heart desires - most meats take on whatever you flavour them with, and I am sure whatever you choose will still taste delicious!
The Best Mashed Potato Topping? I Got You!
One of the things that make this shepherd's pie a weeknight friendly meal, is the fact that I use my handy-dandy 15 minute InstantPot mashed potatoes! In the time it takes you to cook and mash the potatoes, your filling will be ready to go. The key to keeping the mashed potatoes firm as a topping, is to add an egg to the mix before topping the filling. It works, trust me!
Variations? Of Course, We Love Options!
So we have come to the conclusion that a good shepherd's pie has an abundance of mashed potatoes, and can be made with any kind of protein, but now what? Try these variations if you'd like:
- Make this vegetarian by using lentils and mushrooms, and scrap the meat!
- Add cheese to the top for an extra decadent, bubbly touch
- Try some of my variations that I suggested in my 15 minute InstantPot mashed potatoes recipe
Easy Weeknight Shepherds Pie
- 450g ground chicken
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the Mashed Potatoes: Make the mashed potatoes in your InstantPot, according to this recipe. Once the potatoes are done, add one egg, and mix well.
- Brown the Chicken and Mushrooms: While the potatoes are cooking in the InstantPot, in a skillet, brown the shallot and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil. Add the ground chicken, and break apart. Add the mushrooms, and let them cook down for 3-5 minutes.
- Make the Sauce: Add the tomato paste, and cook through for a minute. Sprinkle with flour, and cook for another minute. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth, and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the green peas, corn and carrots, and remove from the heat.
- Assemble: If you are going to assemble in the skillet, top with the mashed potatoes, and bake for 10 minutes, on broil for the last 2 minutes. If putting into a baking dish, put the filling down first, top with the mashed potatoes, and bake for the same amount of time.
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love! By purchasing the products I link, you help me continue to bring delicious recipe ideas to your kitchen!
- Shop my kitchen favourites and more here and here