If you like to wow your guests with fun and interesting cocktails you will definitely want to try today’s Rum and Coke recipe with a bacon straw. As summer rolls around I’m planning on hosting guests for backyard parties and barbecues and I’m always looking for ways to put a new twist on classic recipes. Today I’m sharing how to make a straw to sip your rum and coke on out of one of everyone’s favorite foods, bacon!
Bacon is one of those trendy foods that people love to add to just about every meal (or dessert!) A bacon straw is made by wrapping a slice of bacon around a rolled up piece of aluminum foil and baking it. After the bacon cools, the aluminum foil is pulled out of the bacon and, voila! You have a bacon straw.
Ingredients for the bacon straw
- 1lb of thick cut bacon
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheet
Roll the aluminum foil in 1/4 inch thick sticks. Make one for every bacon straw you plant to cook.
Take the bacon pieces and wrap them around the aluminum foil at a 45 degree angle so that the bacon overlaps with each turn. You may have to use more than one slice for each straw.
Place the bacon straws on a baking sheet and bake them for 30 minutes at 325 degrees or until they are extra crispy.
Let cool. Carefully remove the foil from the inside of the bacon. Place the bacon straw in your favorite drink.
- 1 pound of thick cut bacon
- 1 roll of aluminum foil
How to cook bacon straw
- Preheat oven to 325
- Roll pieces of foil into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Wrap the bacon strips around the foil at a 45 degree angle. Wrap them tightly. You may need to use more than once slice of bacon.
- Cook on a baking sheet for 30 minutes until crispy.
- Let cool and remove foil from center or straw.
- Place the straw in your favorite drink and start sipping.
- This bacon straw is great for cocktails like rum and coke.