My family has a special corner for South Indian breakfast, let it be Idli, Dosa, uttapam, pongal, vada all these are like absolute favourite. So whenever I decide to make South Indian breakfast every one get very excited. So this weekend I made Masala Idli which indeed is a quick & easy breakfast recipe made with leftover idlis. Though I have made these with fresh idlis, tempered with mustard seeds, curry leaves and for masala I have added finely chopped onion, tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sambar masala which indeed turned to be a great breakfast for my family. They just loved it to the fullest.
You can also add finely chopped veggies and any masala of your choice to make it extra scrumptious. Serve it hot, sprinkle some podi powder
(It's a flavorful condiment made with lentils,seeds and spices. It has different names such as gun powder, karam podi or chutney podi. Podi is a south Indian term that means powder)
Lastly, garnish with some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. Try this Super healthy breakfast for your family!
Let's check out the Ingredients & recipe to make this yummy Masala Idli. If you like this recipe then please comment below, I would love to read your thoughts!!!!
- 5 to 6 Idli pieces
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Sambhar Powder
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 Podi Powder
- 3 tbsp water
- Salt as required
- Cut each idli into 6 pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once oil is hot add mustard seeds, curry leaves & allow it to sputter.
- Once it's sputter add chopped onion, cook till onion becomes soft and light pink in color.
- Now add crushed ginger, crushed garlic & chopped green chili. Saute till the raw smell of garlic goes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water and mix it well.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, sambhar powder & salt. Mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Now add chopped idlis and mix it well. Make sure the masala is properly coated to each idli pieces.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves, stir well and serve.
- Garnish with Podi Powder.
- You can use pav bhaji masala or kitchen king masala instead of sambhar powder.
- To give a tangy flavour, squeeze little lemon, it really enhance the taste.
- Don't add more water to the masala or idli will become soggy.
- Mix the idli pieces gently with the masala.