The Best Homemade Granola
To be perfectly honest, I am not a granola fan. I would try to like it but it seemed like every time I bought some from the store it would taste stale, or feel like I was trying to chomp on a bowl or rocks or the sugar content was through the roof, or even cost a fortune for a small package! I don't know why some breakfast foods either take on a rock texture - any Grapenut fans out there? -or are made to sit in your stomach like a pile of rocks.
I had a tub of Greek yogurt in my fridge and berries coming out of my ears from my garden. A yogurt parfait sounded so good but I needed that slight crunch to layer that I was missing. I came across this granola recipe and it will be the best granola you will ever eat!! Trust me!
This granola will knock the socks off anything you buy in the store and it is so much cheaper to make it yourself. It is low in sugar compared to other recipes, it doesn't taste like rocks, and is totally irresistible!! Eat it dry, in a bowl of milk, top it with ice cream, add it to a yogurt parfait, eat it with berries and cream, the possibilities are endless!
Look at all that yummy, toasted, goodness!
It is the perfect crunch and chewy texture meant for parfaits! You might want to wipe that drool off your face...
The Best Homemade Granola
- 3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 C. Raw Almonds (chopped in pieces)
- 1/2 C. Cashews (Chopped in pieces)
- 2/3 C. Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- 6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Real Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 4 Tbsp Canola Oil (can use Vegetable or Avacado or coconut oil as subsitute)
- Optional: 1/2 Craisins, and/or 1/2 C Raisins, and/or 1/2 C Mini chocolate chips,
- Preheat your oven to 250 Degrees
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl except the optional chocolate chips and/or dried fruit and mix through.
- Place granola on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in 250 Degree oven for 60 minutes. If you want it want it more crunchy, leave in until lightly browned for another 5-10 minutes. If you want it more chewy leave it in for 5-10 minutes less. Cook time will vary 35-1 hour and 15 minutes depending on the texture you desire.
- After your granola is to your liking, add your dried fruit or chocolate chips and let cool in a bowl. ENJOY!
- If you want to replace nuts or add seeds, feel free to customize! You can use walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, dates, dried strawberries, or dried blueberries, whatever you please!
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!