Suji /Semolina Pudding
Sheera also known as suji halwa is a traditional Indian pudding made with semolina, ghee, sugar, cashews and raisins. This simple delicious dessert has a fluffy & soft texture with delicate flavors of cardamom & ghee.
Suji ka halwa or Sheera is a quick, easy and delicious pudding which is often made in most Indian homes and in my home as well.
Suji halwa is made with fine semolina or cream of wheat (farina), ghee, sugar and nuts. In India cream of wheat is called as suji, sooji or rava. This everyday Indian sweet can be made in about 15 minutes.
Let me know how it turned out when made ? I am sure you will like it.
Suji Halwa is the best served during festivals
Soft and excellent taste when hot
Don't you think this is so delicious ?
Grated Pistachio's, Almonds and Sesame seeds
Suji /Semolina Pudding
The ratio of suji to sugar to water to ghee is 1:1:2:0.5 in a cup
- Sugar – For 1 cup of sooji or rava, I add ⅔ or ¾ cup of sugar. So the suji halwa has less sweetness or is just sweet. 1 cup of sugar gives a very sweet taste.
- Ghee – I also add ⅔ cup ghee for 1 cup of suji. For me, ⅔ cup is a good amount of ghee. Reduce or increase the ghee if you prefer.
- Water – I add 2.5 cups water for 1 cup of suji. Though you can even add 2 cups of water. The amount of water can also be increased depending on the quality of the rava and if you want a pudding-like smooth consistency.
- -Use the fine variety of suji for making halwa as it gives a smooth tasting halwa.
- - When adding the sugar solution to the rava, it has to be boiling and bubbling hot. If the sugar solution becomes warm, then heat it up till it comes to a boil. The fried rava mixture also has to be hot when the sugar solution is added.
- -When you begin roasting the rava, at the same time, keep the sugar solution to boil on another burner.
- -You can reduce both the amount of sugar and ghee.
- -Milk can be added instead of water and this will give the suji ka halwa rich taste and flavor.
- -You can add your choice of dry fruits and nuts. For flavoring and aroma, usually, cardamom powder is added. Variations can be 8 to 10 saffron strands soaked in some warm water or even rose water can be added.
- Saffron threads or kesar can also be added in sooji halwa
How do I make it? What goes in first?
Mmmm.... im making a large pot so I have leftovers for breakfast 😋 never would have thought to add pistachios. Have you ever tried shredded coconut? Or do you think that would mess with the smooth texture too much? Or maybe coconut milk?