Gingerbread Cookie Dough (Vegan)
I've been using the same gingerbread cookie recipe for my fall and holiday cutouts for about 30 years. My sister gave it to me when I was first married. It's done very well, however, now I try to eat Vegan as I can. That means that I try to adapt a lot of recipes to be either Pescatarian or Vegan.
In this case, the adaptation is even better than the original recipe. The spices are there yet subtle and the dough isn't too sweet. That's something I don't like for cookies that will be iced.
I hope you enjoy the gingerbread cookies, and trust me, nobody will know they're Vegan unless you tell them they are!
See how crisp the edges are on these leaf cutouts. I'll give you my trick down below.
In this photo, you can see this gingerbread cookie recipe used to make Fall Leaf Cookies. To see how to make these cookies and to get the Vegan Royal Icing recipe, click HERE.
Start by gathering all of your ingredients. Here, all the parties are in line ready for action!
Next, mix the Hot Water and Chia Seeds. This needs to sit for about 10 minutes so you need to do it first. Just set it aside.
Sift together all of the dry ingredients. This helps to prevent clumps and spreads the spices evenly throughout the cookie dough. Set aside.
First mix the Vegan Butter until smooth. Then add the Coconut Sugar, blending thoroughly. Finally, comes time for the Chia Egg. Before adding it to the mixing bowl, make sure all of the seeds are slimy. If not, put in the microwave for 15 seconds (at most). Mix for a minute and then blend into the mixing bowl until everything is smooth and creamy.
In parts, approximately 1-2 cups each, add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl. Make sure to scrape the edges of the bowl and the beater to blend in any holdouts.
Here's the secret!
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Take out the dough and cut into your cookie shapes. Place shapes 1" apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.
Return the dough (on the cookie sheets) to the refrigerator for at least another hour.
This keeps the edges when baking! It's magic 😊
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cook dough shapes for 10-12 minutes. Allow cooling on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Make sure the cookies are completely COOL before decorating!
Gingerbread Cookie Dough (Vegan)
- 5 tbsp Hot Water
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 5 c. Gluten-free All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum (if needed for GF Flour, read packaging)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 c. Miyoko's Vegan Butter
- 1 c. Coconut Sugar
- 1 c. Molasses
- Mix Chia Egg ingredients and set aside.
- Sift together Dry Ingredients and set aside.
- Blend Moist Ingredients, one at a time, until smooth.
- Add Chia Egg to the mixer and blend until evenly distributed.
- Add Dry Ingredients, in equal parts, to the mixer. Continue until all are mixed evenly.
- Remove dough from the mixing bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at 1 hour.
- Roll dough on the counter with flour to keep from sticking. Cut out using a cutter of your desired shape. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Be sure to leave at least 1" around each side of the cutout.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake cookies, directly from the refrigerator, for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!