Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
By Marley Goldin on April 13, 2020 last updated August 17, 2021
5 from 1 vote
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These melt-in-your-mouth, Best Ever Fudgy Chocolate Brownies come with a warning: you won't be able to eat just one.
Sick of the same old boxed brownies yielding a cake-like batch of your favorite chocolaty snack? Ooey-gooey brownies are always the best but are VERY hard to achieve out of the box.
My Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies will give you that perfect bite every single time!
You know the one. The bite where you barely have to chew because it just melts in your mouth. And by bite two you’re already upset that the brownie is halfway gone, contemplating “how many brownies are too many brownies? “
Or “is there even such a thing as too many brownies?”
Hint: there is never such a thing as “too many” when you’re talking anything chocolate.
There’s something about the smell of fresh-out-the-oven brownies that just makes a house feel like a home. And the smell coming from my kitchen at this very moment has me more excited than ever to share this recipe with you.
A Couple Of Notes On Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
Wobble, Baby, Wobble
When the brownies first come out of the oven, they may seem slightly underdone. This is intentional. They will continue to cook until they are completely cool. When you pull them out, give the pan a little shake. You should see just a little bit of a wobble.
But we are talking just a slight wobble in the very center. If you shake it and the whole thing looks like a wave pool, they probably need a couple more minutes.
However, if you are one of those people who prefer the corner pieces and not the ooey-gooey middle bits, first of all, why?
…I’m totally kidding!
Just leave them in the oven with the oven off for 5 extra minutes in order to get a crispier treat. We will still count them as Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies.
I like my brownies chunkier, so I use a 9-inch by 9-inch pan. If you want thinner brownies, you can easily use a 13-inch by 9-inch pan. No need to alter the cooking time or anything. I’ve made these Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies in this size pan before and they are equally delicious.
The quality of the chocolate chips makes a big difference in this recipe, so treat yo’self to some high quality choco chips! I always use Dark chocolate!
Green tip: Make sure your chocolate is sustainably sourced. Look for Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance, or UTZ certifications as opposed to self-proclaimed sustainability labels that sometimes falsely advertise “sustainably sourced”.
These brownies can be successfully made vegan by subbing vegan butter and a flax egg. Or if you want an all-vegan brownie recipe, check out these Gooey Vegan Protein Brownies.
All-purpose flour can be swapped out for cake flour here for a cakier brownie. If you’re looking for gluten free swaps, check out these Paleo Brownies!
Don’t Skip on The Sift
As always with cocoa powder, I recommend sifting it in. It tends to get clumpy, and smoothing it out once it’s already inside your bowl may force you to overbeat your batter.
One Bowl = Less Clean Up
Arguably the best part of this recipe brownies is it only requires one bowl. Less cleanup is always music to my ears, so I just had to write that in bold lettering for ya 😉 (this is also why I squeezed another hyphenated word into an already long title, but I feel “Best Every One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies” says it all)!
Green tip: Speaking of cleanup, if you have a dishwasher-use it! Comparing dishwashing to handwashing, using an efficient dishwasher uses 1/6th the amount of water to get your dishes clean!
Not Required, But Recommended
The espresso powder in this brownie recipe really brings out the taste of the chocolate. It is not intended to give these delicacies a coffee flavor.
That being said, I listed it in this recipe as optional because I do not want to discourage people from making this recipe if they stumble upon it looking for an easy baked good midnight snack and they have all the ingredients in their pantry except for the espresso powder (who me? never).
I’ve made these without the espresso powder in a pinch and they are still outrageously delicious.
Why You Should Make These Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- They’re easy. Just mix and bake!
- There’s not much cleanup. One bowl.m Done and done.
- They’re fudgy as heck. The consistency is heavenly.
- THE SALT ON TOP. The perfect touch to balance out the sweet.
If you love this recipe, you may be a fellow chocoholic! These other chocolaty treats are sure to be right up your alley: Best Ever Chocolate Cookie Dough Cake | Boozy Chocolate Mousse | Chocolate Mint Pie | Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake | Warm Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cups
Best Ever One-Bowl Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (in liquid form)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 pinch sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Combine softened butter with the sugar and coconut oil using a hand mixer. If you haven’t had time to let your butter soften, put it in the microwave for 20 second-intervals until you can poke it with your finger and leave an imprint.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt and combine until smooth.
- Pour batter into lined 9 x 9 inch square baking pan.
- Cover top with an even layer of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, remove from oven and immediately crack on sea salt or pink Himalayan salt. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- When the brownies first come out of the oven, they may seem slightly underdone. This is intentional as they will continue to cook until they cool. However, if you are one of those people who prefers the corner pieces and not the ooey-gooey middle bits, leave them in the oven for 5 extra minutes in order to get a crispier treat.
- I like my brownies chunkier, so I use a 9-inch by 9-inch pan. If you want thinner brownies, you can easily use a 13-inch by 9-inch pan. No need to alter the cooking time or anything. I’ve made them in this size pan before and they are equally delicious.
- The quality of the chocolate chips makes a big difference in this recipe. I opt for Hershey’s Special Dark, or Ghirardelli (affiliate link) if I’m feeling fancy 🙂