Up until recently I wasn't much into making or eating pies. But then something changed and frankly, pie is all I can think about. You may as well call this a piedemic..get it? Too soon?
You will definitely be seeing a large variety of pies on this page, as I am determined to try and make one in every shape and size possible, with every fruit that's currently in season.
The basic recipe is the same regardless of the shape of pie you want to make, all you need is flour, butter, salt, and water. Make sure you always have these at hand and you'll never have to go another day without a pie.
So here is a peach galette. Simple, elegant, and absolutely delicious.
If you like my content you can check here for more!
For the crust
- 200g (1 1/2 cup) flour
- 100g (1/2 cup) butter, cold
- 50g (3 1/2 tbsp) sugar
- 60ml (4 1/2 tbsp) water (or more)*
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Sugar and almond flour to sprinkle (optional)
For the filling
- 6 peaches (1 1/4 lbs), sliced and pitted
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- 50g (1/4 cup) sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour, salt, and sugar, and whisk together
- Add cold, cubbed butter and rub together with your fingertips until you get a breadcrumb like mixture.
- Add the water*, mix together until combined. If it still doesn't come together perfectly, just wet your hands (don't just pour more water on top!) and keep on kneading until it comes together.
- When you get a smoothish ball, wrap it up in cling film and place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes
- After the dough has chilled, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 30cm (12 inches)
- Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment (trust me on this one - most recipes tell you to put the filling on first and then transfer but that can get really messy)
- Arrange the peaches in circles on top of the dough, leaving about 5cm (2inch) margin of dough
- Fold the dough over the peaches
- Place the baking tray in the fridge for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 fahrenheit)
- Take out of the fridge, brush lightly with egg wash, and sprinkle the edges with some sugar and almond flour
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes
For the filling
- Slice the peaches and mix together with the remaining filling ingredients.
- * instead of adding water in the pie crust, you can also try adding 2 egg yolks, I like to mix it up like this sometimes for extra flavour