What I love about galettes is that they are as tasty as a traditional pie but there’s no pie dish, no pinching edges, and no complicated lattice crust. This Blueberry Peach Galettehas a buttery crust and is filled with jammy blueberries and sweet peaches.
I like to call galettes the lazy man pie.
Galette, or “flat cake” in French is a freeform crust cake or pie and is a classical French dessert. Galettes can be filled with all sorts of sweet berries and even savory vegetables such as mushrooms. The flavors are endless.
How to Make Blueberry Peach Galette:
It starts with a grain-free pie crust. The crust is made in the food processor and then is chilled before being rolled into a large circle. All of the ingredients for the filling are mixed together in one bowl before being surrounded by flakey pie crust. The galette is baked in the oven until golden brown. Easy as pie!
For the galette:
- 16 oz frozen or fresh blueberries (about 2.5 cups)
- 3 peaches, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 tsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional for sprinkling on the crust)
For the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- 11 tbsp butter (1 sticks and 3 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the pie crust:
- In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour and xanthum gum. Process for a second or two until the flours are mixed Cube the butter and place in the food processor. Process until just crumbly and all the butter is no longer in large cubes
- In a bowl, combine the egg, maple syrup and vinegar and then place into the food processor. Process for 3-5 seconds or until everything is just combined. You do not want the dough to form a ball. Stop the processor right before it starts to come together
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour. The dough can sit in the fridge overnight with no problem
For the filling:
- In a medium sized bowl, add the blueberries, sliced peaches, tapioca starch, lemon juice and maple syrup. Mix well
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Turn a baking tray upside down set aside
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge and roll out into a circle to about 1/4 inch thick between two pieces of parchment paper. Place the parchment paper (with the dough in the middle)on the upside down baking sheet and gently roll back the top piece of parchment paper. You should end up with an upside down baking tray with parchment paper and the pie dough on top.
- Gently place the blueberry mixture in the center of the dough. Working with the parchment paper, lift one side up and place over top of the blueberries. Continue all the way around until the blueberries are partially covered and there's an edge of about 1 inch
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the blueberry filling starts to bubble. remove from the oven and allow to cool before enjoying!
Where is the grain-less crust recipe?
Can you use cornstarch as the thickener instead of tapioca starch & pre-made crust?