Apple Crumble (Crisp)
Filled with cozy apples and a delicious crumbly topping, this easy apple crumble is comfort food for your soul! Made with soft cinnamon spiced apples and a crisp topping, this easy dessert screams fall!
Make this dessert dairy-free by swapping traditional butter for plant-based butter.
Super easy-to-make vegan crumble is the perfect fall dessert! This vegan crisp is lightly spiced with cinnamon. Add chopped hazelnuts or walnuts to make this easy recipe even more delicious.
This recipe offers a flawless combination of tart, sweet, crunchy, and fall spice flavors. In addition, by changing traditional butter to plant-based butter, this recipe is dairy-free. In the simplest form, this is a vegan apple pie without the pie crust!
This vegan apple crumble is best served warm and preferably with a large scoop of ice cream. Enjoy the beautiful combination of flavors and textures as the vegan ice cream melts.
What Type of Apples Should I Use?
For this crumble vegan recipe, you will need a lot of apples. The best apples for this recipe are tart and crisp. Even though there are more than 7,000 apple varieties worldwide, Granny Smith are perfect tart apples for this recipe.
Granny Smiths are crispy, which is why they hold their shape well when baking. Moreover, they have a tart flavor that balances the overall flavor. Add some streusel on top, and you have the ideal crumble topping.
If you love experimenting, you can try another type of fresh apple. Honey crisp or gala apples are great alternatives. It is important to note that using other varieties might change the texture and make the dish sweeter.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Quintessential Fall Dessert: This recipe is the perfect way to use up all those delicious fresh apples during apple season.
- Quick and Easy to Make: Easy apple dessert made in 60 minutes, 45 of that is in the oven.
- No Fussy Presentation: Apple crumble has a casual and rustic presentation.
- Affordable Ingredients: This recipe is made with simple ingredients most you probably already have!
- Easily Converts into a Gluten-Free Dessert Recipe
Ingredients, Variations, and Equipment
- Apples - 6-7 cups of sliced apples - I recommend granny smith, honey crisp, or gala apples.
- Brown Sugar - 1 cup, divided - As an alternative to brown sugar, you can use coconut sugar or any other type of vegan granulated sugar. Using brown sugar in streusel topping and the apple filling will give warm, sweet, and comforting flavors.
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon - A must! Use ground cinnamon.
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 cup + 2 tablespoons - I recommend using all-purpose flour, but you can also use whole wheat flour. To make a gluten-free apple crisp, use almond flour.
- Vegan Butter - 10 tablespoons, divided. (4 tablespoons at room temperature and 6 tablespoons melted) - You can use any good-quality vegan or plant-based butter. I like the Earth Balance brand, which is easily found in most grocery stores.
- Equipment - This recipe is very flexible. You can use just about any baking dish, from a pie dish, pie dish, or other oven-safe bake ware.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between apple crumble, apple crisp, and apple cobbler? Typically, apple crumble and apple crisp are similar, with the only difference of oats in crisp recipes. For vegan crisp, rolled oats are added to the topping. On the contrary, apple cobbler is made with baked apple filling and a pie or biscuit dough.
How long does vegan crumble store? Apple Recipes Vegan can be kept in the fridge for five days. However, you must ensure that the leftover baked crumble is stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze this vegan crumble in the freezer for three months. Cover it entirely using foil or plastic wrap before refrigerating.
Can I make this vegan apple crumble for one? Yes, you can. Divide the ingredients by 6 or 8, depending on your preferred portion size. Bake it in individual portions using heat-resistant ramekins. Check on the vegan crisp after 30 minutes of baking to see if more baking time is required.
Apple Crumble (Crisp)
- ▢ 6 - 7 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples
- ▢ 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- ▢ 1/4 cup plant-based butter
- ▢ 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ▢ 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ▢ 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- ▢ 1/3 cup sugar
- ▢ 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ▢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 6 tablespoons plant-based butter, melted
- ▢ 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or walnuts for an extra crunch (optional)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F/175C degrees and prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Filling: Combine brown sugar, plant-based butter, flour and salt (filling ingredients). Than In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples and filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Streusel Topping: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and salt together. Add the melted butter and mix with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be thick. Sprinkle the topping over the apples.
- Assemble and Bake: Evenly distribute the sliced apple mixture in your baking dish. Sprinkle the streusel crumble mix topping over the top of the apples. Place into the preheated oven and bake for about 40 - 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Use a fork to test if the apples are tender. If the apples are not tender, continue to bake until you can gently pierce the apples.
- Freezer Storage: Freeze in an airtight container for up to three months.
- Serving: Top with your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream.