I heard someone say that you can make a decent ricotta out of tofu. I know, it's not really ricotta, except it kind of is? I don't know, it's really good, it tastes like it's supposed to to taste, and it works beautifully!
I've used it in 3 different puff pastries and I loved them all!
Pastry 1 - leek and frozen green peas sautéed in olive oil and a bit of lemon juice
Pastry 2 - garlic butter kale
Pastry 3 - frozen berries
I loved all three of them and can't choose my favourite! I think this ricotta would work great as ravioli stuffing as well, I think I might try that next!
If you like my content you can check here for more
- One block of firm tofu
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5-10tbsp vegan milk of choice
- Mash or grate the tofu block, whatever feels more comfortable. I grated it and then squeezed it a bit with my hand to make softer
- Add the vinegar and start pouring the milk while mixing until you reach a consistency that you like
- Add a pinch of salt and you're ready
Puff pastry (optional :) )
- Option 1 - sauté finely cut leeks and frozen green peas in a bit of olive oil lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper
- Option 2 - melt a bit of butter in a pan and crush a clove of garlic into it - add chopped kale and saute for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Option 3 - just grab a handful of frozen berries from your freezer
- Cut a sheet of puff pastry, top with whichever topping you like, place the ricotta on top, brush the edges with vegan milk and bake according to instructions on your puff pastry package.