Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Mousse
This post contains affiliate links.
This Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Mousse is a spin off of a traditional mousse, but takes only minutes to whip up. It is super smooth, very decadent, and includes a fresh fruit purée. This easy dessert is perfect for date night, a special occasion or just because.
- A rich chocolate mousse that is nice and light from the whipped ricotta
- Raspberry purée
- Whipped topping–optional
Ingredient Notes For This Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Mousse:
- Ricotta – Kite Hill has a fantastic ricotta cheese alternative. The texture, taste and consistency is spot on. It is kind of expensive, but it is absolutely worth it. (If you don’t want to use a dairy free alternative that is fine – use what works best for you. Note: Just be sure to replace it at a 1:1 ratio).
- Tip – Let it come to room temperature before using. This way, the mixture will be much easier to whip. Also, make sure not to skip the step of whipping the ricotta in the blender. This step is crucial to the whole recipe! (The lighter texture of the ricotta comes from whipping air into the mixture).
- Chocolate – I have made this mousse with three different types of hazelnut chocolate spread (Nutella, Nutiva and Justin’s). Each one is good! However, you have to keep a couple things in mind when making your decision on this ingredient.
- Nutella – This has a rich, decadent flavor but includes dairy.
- Nutiva – This also has a rich decadent flavor, but comes with the added benefit that it is vegan.😉 It has the same texture as Nutella.
- Justin’s – This product is delicious, but doesn’t produce as much of a decadent result as the other two. Personally, I just feel it’s not as rich and deep in flavor. It is also dairy-free.
- Raspberry Purée – For convenience, I left the seeds in the purée. However, if you have time, feel free to remove the seeds.
- What’s the best way to remove the seeds? Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the purée through the strainer. Press with a spoon as needed to release all of the purée through the mesh. This will remove the seeds.
- Whipped Cream – You can use store bought or homemade.
And, for more date night recipes, please be sure to check out my Date Night Recipes tab on my website.
FOLLOW ALONG! Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates, recipes and content.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a star rating on my blog so I know how you liked it. Thanks! Enjoy!
Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Mousse
- 1 8 oz container Kite Hill Ricotta Alternative–softened–or Ricotta Cheese made with Whole Milk
- 1 13 oz jar Nutiva Hazelnut Cocoa Spread (need 6.5 oz total)
- 6 oz Raspberries, puréed
- Optional: Fresh Raspberries for topping and dark chocolate shavings
- Optional: Coconut Whipped Topping or Whipped Cream
- Chocolate mousse: In a food processor, blend the ricotta cheese until smooth. Add the chocolate hazelnut spread and blend until it’s nicely incorporated. Refrigerate until it sets up.
- Raspberries: Purée the raspberries until smooth; set aside. (If you want to remove the seeds that specific instruction is listed in the notes below).
- Assemble: Layer some chocolate whipped ricotta into three small jars, add some raspberry purée, and top off with the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Optional: Right before serving, add some fresh raspberries, chocolate shavings and whipped topping to each cup.
- Ricotta: Let it come to room temperature before using. This way, the mixture will be much easier to whip. Also, make sure not to skip the step of whipping the ricotta in the blender. This step is crucial to the whole recipe! (The lighter texture of the ricotta comes from whipping air into the mixture).
- Chocolate Mousse: Refrigerate until it sets up. This provides differentiation between the layers, and prevents the raspberry purée from sinking into the chocolate.
- Raspberries (seed removal): Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the purée through the strainer. Press with a spoon as needed to release all of the purée through the mesh. This will remove the seeds.
- Mousse Cups: Once the jars are assembled, refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving, let them rest on the counter for a couple of minutes just to soften a bit.
- Whipped Topping: Add right before serving.
- Here are instructions for a dairy homemade whipped cream: To make the whip, add 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip on medium-high speed until medium peaks form, about 3-5 minutes. (Don't over-beat, or the mixture will become butter-like). Add 3-4 tbsp Powder Sugar and quickly whip to combine. Use immediately or cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published July 11th, 2022 5:46 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!