Meringue Pecans. Otherwise known as Sugared Pecans. These crispy, sugary bites are the perfect holiday treat. Beware, they are addictive! They are best done in big batches so you have plenty to share. These pecans are a great gift for anyone. Neighbors, teachers, clients and friends will all be psyched you thought of them. Toss them into cellophane bag and finish off with a cute ribbon or tag. Make sure to keep some for yourself to throw on top of salads, charcuterie boards or just to snack on by the handful. They keep for several weeks although I promise they won’t last that long!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ pound pecans
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a sheet tray with foil. Put the butter on the sheet tray and place in the oven to melt, about 3 minutes. You want to make sure the butter doesn’t brown!
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. With the mixer on, slowly add the sugar to the egg whites until the eggs whites reach stiff peaks and the mixture is shiny. Add salt. Fold in the pecans.
- Spread mixture onto the sheet tray, mixing with the butter at the same time. Make sure once everything is mixed the pecans are in an even layer.Place sheet tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir pecans and bake for another 10 minutes or until the pecans are a LIGHT golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. Break apart and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.