Best Strawberry Banana Cake With Whipped Cream Icing
Strawberry Banana Cake – moist vanilla layer cake with creamy strawberry and banana whipped cream icing.
Looking for a light, delicious strawberry and banana cream layer cake to take to an event or just provide a change of pace for your family? Well, you’ve found it!
With access to fresh strawberries almost year-round, why wait until summer delight family or guests to serve strawberry banana layer cake?
A long-standing favorite for Easter celebrations and family picnics, this easy strawberry banana cake recipe is a wonderful way to make an ordinary meal seem extraordinary!
IN A HURRY? CLICK ON THESE LINKS TO TAKE YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
Why You’ll Love This Strawberry Banana Cream Cake Recipe
- Strawberry banana cake is a delicious and decorative dessert with a lovely presentation.
- A light and refreshing dessert option with fruit.
- Whipped cream icing is a smooth, light and flavorful change from buttercreams.
- An excellent strawberry and banana cream layer cake to entertain guests.
- Perfect dessert to serve for Valentine’s Day, Easter or Mother’s Day. Sure to impress!
Equipment Needed To Make Strawberry Banana Whipped Cream Cake
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Parchment Paper
- 2- 9” Round Cake Pans
- Icing Bag
- Extra Large Plain Piping Tip
unsalted butter (room temp)
lg eggs (room temp)
lg egg yolks (room temp)
vanilla extract (can use banana extract if you prefer a stronger banana taste to the cake)
buttermilk (room temp)Please see ingredient quantities in the recipe card below.
whipping cream (very cold)
cream cheese (room temp)
clear vanilla extract
bananas (very ripe and mashed)
diced strawberriesQuantities listed in recipe card below
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease and flour 2-9 inch cake pans. Place parchment paper in the bottom of each pan to help with removal of cakes when done.
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add in eggs
- Add vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add alternately to creamed mixture.
- Add buttermilk
- Distribute evenly between two pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Beat whipping cream in a small bowl until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and extract until smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream , then fold in the mashed bananas and one cup of the strawberries.
- Spread icing on top of one of the cakes, using an icing tip or with a spatula. Place one-half of the remaining strawberries across the top of the icing.
- Place second cake on top of the first and spread with remaining icing and strawberries.
- Chill before serving.
- If you prefer to keep the whipped cream icing for the banana strawberry layer cake bright white, be sure to use clear vanilla extract.
- You can substitute any kind of berry for the strawberries or even use pineapple when you want to change it up.
- Before mixing, ingredients should be at room temperature to ensure a smooth, even batter and even baking.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with toasted coconut or pecans for added texture and flavor.
- Use a 9” x 13” cake pan if you prefer a single-layer cake.
- If you’d like a different look to this cake, add a bit of pink/red food coloring to the icing and use a loaf pan or Storing Strawberry Banana Cream CakeThis cake needs to be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container because of the whipped cream. If transporting to a picnic or other event, make sure to use a cooler and keep on ice until ready to serve. You can also freeze the cake for several hours before transporting.The strawberry banana whipped cream cake should keep for 3-5 days if stored properly, although the fruit may start to run or turn. However, this recipe is so good that I doubt there will be any need to worry about it being stored for any length of time!Dinner Ideas to Serve With Strawberry Banana CakeRomantic Dinner ideasCarrabbas Chicken Bryan Copycat Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato RecipeStrawberry Banana Cake FAQsWill the bananas in the strawberry banana filling and whipped cream icing turn brown?No, as long as you do not cut or mash the banana until right before incorporating it into the whipped cream mixture. When folded into the icing ingredients, the banana is coated and “sealed” to keep from interacting with the air.Why do bananas turn brown in a recipe?Bananas brown due to the natural process of oxidation. Bananas have an enzymatic browning compound called polyphenol oxidase and other iron-containing compounds that react with the oxygen in the air when they are cut or exposed. What is the best way to keep bananas from browning when cut or mashing?Slowing the oxidation process by changing the pH level of the cut surface of the banana will reduce browning. English, please? 🙂 Tossing in an acidic liquid like fruit juices will slow the browning process; lemon juice is the most commonly used fluid. You can use orange juice, lime juice, pineapple juice, and even vinegar; however, any of these liquids can sometimes affect the flavor of your recipe. For this strawberry banana cream layer cake, the best option is club soda or seltzer water since they will not impact the flavor of the fruit. **If you try this Strawberry Cream Cake recipe, please come back and let us know how you like it.Love Strawberries? Try These Strawberry Recipes.Easy Homemade Strawberry Cream PuffsStrawberry Swirl Cheesecake in the Instant Pot
Best Strawberry Banana Cake With Whipped Cream Icing
- 16 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 3 lg eggs (room temp)
- 2 lg egg yolks (room temp)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (can use banana extract if you prefer a stronger banana taste to the cake)
- 3 c cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c buttermilk (room temp)
Whipped Cream Icing
- 1 1/2 c whipping cream (very cold)
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 2 lg bananas (very ripe and mashed)
- 1 c diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour 2-9" round cake pans. Placing a piece of parchment paper, cut to fit bottom of pan before greasing will help removal of cake after baking.
- Using the paddle attachment on athe stand mixer, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. This should take 3-4 minutes. Stop to scrape sides of bowl frequently.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, mixing after each until combined.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, with your mixer on low, gradually alternate, adding flour mixture and egg/butter mixture, starting and ending with dry mixture until all is combined.
- Divide batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake on center rack of the preheated oven for approx. 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack, then remove from pans.
Whipped Cream Icing
- Beat whipping cream in a small bowl until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Using a separate large bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, salt and extract until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream mixture, then fold in the banana and strawberries.
- Using an extra-large piping tip, pipe icing on top of one of the cakes. (If you don't have a piping tip, simply spread icing with a knife or spoon.) Place second layer on top and ice that one. Best to chill before serving. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.