Everyone raves about this bread every time I make it and every time they leave my house with the recipe. This is the easiest bread to make even if you have never made a loaf before in your life. This requires no kneading, no bread machine, just a bowl, a spoon and a few pantry ingredients.
Get your napkin ready to wipe off the drool when this comes hot out of the oven. I usually make this bread when I am making Italian dishes (spaghetti or lasagna) or chili, soups, and stews.
These loaves freeze well if you have any leftovers. You can wrap them in tin foil and in a freezer bag and freeze. When you want hot bread with your soup, pull it from the freezer and warm up in the oven in the tin foil.
This bread has a crusty crust and chewy inside.
This bread is so good with mashed avacado on it!
- 1 Package dry yeast
- 2 C warm water
- 1 TBPS sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 C flour
- melted butter
- Place yeast, water, sugar and salt in warm bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Add flour and stir until blended. Do not knead.
- Cover and let rise one hour or until doubled in size.
- Flour hands, remove dough from the bowl and place in 2 rounds on greased cookie sheet. Let rise additional hour.
- Brush the top with butter and bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush again with butter. Serve warm.
- If you use SAF instant yeast you can cut out the 1 hour rise in the bowl at the beginning. You can skip right to separating the dough into two rounds and let those rise an hour.
Was wondering about adding garlic to butter . Also adding some herbs to dough or butter topping .
Please can you tell me how much dried yeast is in a package?