Best and Easy Lasagna
I have been to Italy and had authentic lasagna. Yes, it was good but I really didn't think it was much better than my lasagna I make. I may be a food snob, but really, I want to be wowed if I go out to a restaurant to eat and pay good money for. I don't like to eat out often because I feel I can make it just as good if not better at home. I have been cooking since I was 11 years old (28 years) I really considered going to culinary school because I do love to cook but changed my mind after I worked in a kitchen catering for the news media during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.
I feel like I perfected my lasagna after my friend dropped off a pan of lasagna after I delivered my first child. It was so good! I asked her what she did to hers because it certainly didn't taste like mine. She told me her secret and I haven't made lasagna the same since.
I am not a ricotta cheese fan - at all. The secret my friend used in place or ricotta cheese was a container of cottage cheese and a beaten large egg.
It is all about the layers in lasagna! Pour a little sauce on the bottom. Use "Oven Ready" lasagna noodles (this saves so much time). Add a layer of meat sauce over the noodles, followed by a layer of the cottage cheese and egg mixture, top with mozzarella cheese, and repeat with noodles, sauce, cottage cheese, cheese until you have three layers.
Look at that cheesy, meaty, filling slab of deliciousness!! Serve this with my peasant bread (see post).
Best and Easy Lasagna
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 jar prego traditional spaghetti sauce
- 12 oz cottage cheese
- 4 C mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion power
- Oven ready lasagna noodles
- brown 1 lb meat seasoning with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder to taste.
- Mix in jar of spaghetti sauce.
- Get 9x12 pan ready. Layer spaghetti sauce on bottom to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. Layer oven ready lasagna noodles on top of sauce.
- Layer 1/3 meat sauce over noodles.
- Layer 1/3 of cottage cheese and beaten egg mixture on top of meat sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of mozzarella cheese over and repeat 3 layers.
- Place tin foil over pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 15 minutes until cheese is bubbling and lightly brown.