Today, we’re making Veggie Pinwheels!
These pinwheels are such an easy snack to make, but they pack major flavor AND curb appeal. We’re basically making a ranch flavored cream cheese spread, schmearing it on a tortilla, stuffing it with a rainbow of veggies, and rolling it into beautiful little circles. These make both a great party appetizer or a great after school/work snack. So, you can’t beat it!
Let’s start with the base of our wrap…a spinach tortilla. If we’re going to make a colorful wrap, we’re going to make a colorful wrap! So, we’re going to start with the color from the bottom up and use a nice green tortilla as the body of our wrap. I love spinach wraps for a couple of reasons. One, you can’t beat the color, of course. Two, they’re typically pretty big, so you can stuff a lot of deliciousness inside of them. And three, they have nice earthy notes in the background of their flavor, and I like that the extra little kiss of flavor keeps things interesting.
To schmear all over our tortilla wrap, we’re going to make a simple ranch inspired cream cheese spread which will really help to amp up the flavor. So, we’ll start with some pantry spices like onion, garlic, dill, parsley, and paprika. Then, we’ll mix it into the cream cheese, and that’s it! It really doesn’t get any easier. We’ll spread a generous layer all over our tortillas, leaving just a little border or free space around the edges. And next, it’s time for the veggies.
Though officially named Veggie Pinwheels, I could’ve easily called these Rainbow Pinwheels. Because, we’re going to use one of every color veggie to stuff our wraps. We need some bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, carrots, and green onions. When it comes to the peppers, I actually like to use the medley of mini bell peppers that you can get in a bag of red, orange, and yellow. That way, you’re getting extra color for no extra expense. Plus, the baby peppers are adorable.
We want to chop our veggies small enough that we don’t have big hunks bulging out of our pinwheels but not too small that the veggies become indistinguishable. Then we’ll mix the veg all together, and sprinkle them in an even layer over our tortillas. Roll the tortillas into a tight roll, slice the log into roughly half inch slices, and your snack is ready!
Now, these pinwheels are best served fresh. But, you can have your cream cheese mix and veggie mix prepped ahead of time and hanging in the fridge so you can assemble these rolls at the drop of a hat. It makes them perfect for an impromptu snack at any time!
The pinwheels are simple in ingredients but complex in flavor. They’re perfectly savory thanks to the cream cheese spread with pops of sweetness from the peppers and carrots plus pops of earthiness from the broccoli and cauliflower. The cucumber adds an unexpected cooling effect, as well. The best part of these is they’re totally adaptable. Use whatever veggies you have or like. I just recommend staying away from some of the wetter ingredients like tomatoes.
And with that, it’s time to bid you farewell for the day with my favorite tortilla pun…that’s a wrap (literally)!
I hope you all enjoy, good luck to everyone adjusting back to school life, and let’s eat!
- 8 oz whipped cream cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried chives
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dill weed
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 cup red, orange, and/or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, finely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, finely diced
- 4 green onions, finely chopped, light and dark green parts only
- 4 large spinach herb tortillas
- Make the ranch cream cheese: To a mixing bowl, cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, chives, parsley, garlic powder, salt, dill, onion powder, pepper, and paprika. Mix well to combine.
- Prepare the veggies: To a separate mixing bowl, add bell pepper, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, and green onion. Toss to combine.
- Assemble the wraps: Spread the cream cheese mix all over the surface of the tortillas, evenly divided. Top the cream cheese with the veggie mix, dividing evenly between the wraps. Starting at the end closest to you, tightly roll the tortilla like a sushi roll. Wrap each roll individually in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until set.
- Remove wraps from plastic wrap. Cut wraps into roughly 3/4 inch slices (about 10 slices per wrap). Serve immediately!
- *You can cut and serve these immediately without chilling them first. They’re just a little looser when you cut them. They’re delish either way.
- *I used mini bell peppers so that I could have a combo of red/orange/yellow bell peppers without having to buy one of each.
- *These are easiest to cut with a serrated knife. I actually use my cheese knife to cut them.