Spooky Night Focaccia
I love making focaccia art and for the first time I decided to recreate a scary night by making a black focaccia.
All you need to make a black focaccia is adding
activated charcoal powder to the dough.
Did you know that activated charcoal has lots of health benefits? From acting as emergency poison treatment to supporting digestion, promoting kidney function, helping with acne and even whitens teeth among the others!
After you make the dough black, create your scary night scene with veggies.
Haunted houses made of aubergine and pepper, onion moon, aubergine bat, pepper stars, potato ghosts, carrot pumpkins and mushroom skulls!
This is the perfect spooky focaccia to make for Halloween with your family and friends for a perfect scary baking session.
Spooky Night Focaccia
- 500gr plain flour
- 1 sachet dry yeast
- 300ml water
- 2 tablespoons activated charcoal powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- You make your focaccia as usual with the difference that you add charcoal powder in the water. I can assure you that the taste doesn’t get compromised!
- Transfer the flour in a bowl.
- Take a glass and start mixing the water with the yeast, a bit of sugar and 2 spoons of flour until you notice some foam on the surface. This means that the yeast has been activated and the mixture can be added to the flour.
- Remember the sugar helps the process of activation of the yeast while the salt stops it and that's why we add the salt only afterwards.
- Mix the remaining water with the charcoal. Add the water until the dough becomes elastic and sticky. The focaccia dough is not like pizza dough and it should have a much softer consistency, a bit like mozzarella cheese. Add the salt at the end.
- Let the dough raise in the bowl wrapped in a towel. I like to place mine in the switched off oven for about 2 hours.
- Once the 2 hours have passed, take a round or rectangular baking tray and pour some extra virgin olive oil so that tray is all well covered.
- Transfer the dough on the tray and flatten it with your hands in order to occupy the whole surface.
- Cover it with a towel again and allow to rest for another 30 minutes.
For the design of the veggies
- Slice a potato and use a straw to make the eyes and mouth of the ghost.
- Make the eyes of the mushroom skulls with straws too and use a toothpick to make the knows and teeth.
- Use a star cutter to make the pepper stars.
- Use a knife to turn a carrot slice into a pumpkin.