Easy Almond Butter Banana Bread Recipe
One bite of this moist almond butter banana bread and you’ll be reaching for that second slice. It has a pronounced banana flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness from the overly ripe bananas and honey.
Good banana bread has to have great flavor and have the right texture. I like a moist banana bread while the texture of the bread can not be too cakey.
This almond butter banana bread recipe accomplishes all of these requirements while still remaining on healthier side! Feel guilt free when eating this for breakfast with a cup of coffee or giving it to the kids for an after school snack. This bread is made with many wholesome ingredients while still maintaining an incredible flavor!
I love experimenting with different variations of traditional banana bread because it is made with simple pantry ingredients that I have on hand. Plus it's a great way to use those bananas that have been hanging out on the kitchen counter a little too long. This quick bread mixes up in just 15 minutes and will give you an easy breakfast for the rest of the week!
ripe bananas- overripe bananas are the best for baked goods. They will be sweeter and easier to mash.
almond butter- gives the bread a subtle nutty flavor and extra moisture from the fat content from the nuts. Almonds are highly nutritious and rich in healthy fats which makes it a terrific substitute for lots of oil or butter that is typically in banana bread. Make sure to buy a natural almond butter with no added ingredients.
honey-adds sweetness without refined sugar. The bananas add so much sweetness you won’t need much honey. You can substitute pure maple syrup.
Greek yogurt-adds extra moisture without all the fat. Use plain flavored yogurt in either fat-free or whole milk variety.
Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick baking spray. You can also line the pan with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the loaf from the pan.
In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. It's always important to mix the dry ingredients together well so that the leavening agents are evenly mixed in to the batter.
In a separate large mixing bowl, use the whisk attachment to a hand mixer and beat the bananas and almond butter well. Add the Greek yogurt, eggs, honey and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas. Make sure this mixture is well combined before adding the flour. If there are a few banana lumps that is okay and will still bake into a beautiful loaf.
Add the flour in small increments to beat into the wet ingredients. This will help minimize over beating the batter which would make dry bread and also reduces the chance of a mess of flour going everywhere.
Use a spatula or a spoon to scrap the flour from the sides of the bowl. Once the batter is thoroughly mixed with no remaining white streaks of flour, pour into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake bread at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 55-60 minutes. Check bread at 35 minutes and cover with aluminum foil to prevent browning to much on top and sides of bread.
Use a wooden skewer to test the bread to make sure it has cooked completely in the center. It should have no wet crumbs when finished baking.
Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan on a wire rack for a few minutes before removing from the pan. Once cool enough to handle flip the banana bread over and remove from pan and let it finish cooling completely before slicing.
Use your favorite nut butter that you have on hand. Cashew butter or natural peanut butter work well too.
I love using coconut oil in baked goods but you can use avocado oil, vegetable oil or a light tasting olive oil.
Dark chocolate chips, walnuts, or dried fruit are perfect additions to almond butter bread. Next time I will definitely throw a few chocolate chunks into the batter!
Allow the banana bread to cool completely before storing. Slice the bread and keep it in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
You can also freeze this bread either in individual slices or the whole loaf by wrapping in a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil and placing in an plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months.
One of my favorite ways to eat banana bread is to warm it in the microwave with a little pat of melted butter or a smear of extra almond butter.
- Tent the loaf pan with aluminum foil after the first 30 minutes so the banana bread does not get overly brown on top.
- Spray the baking pan well on the bottom and sides with a baking spray.
- Let the bread cool completely in the baking pan placed on a wire cooling rack before removing from pan and slicing.
Is Almond Butter Good For Baking?
Almond butter can be used in place of peanut butter in baking with great results. This is a great substitute for anyone that has a peanut allergy.
Which is healthier, peanut butter or almond butter?
Both nut butters are healthy options because they are a good source of protein and have many vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Easy Almond Butter Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a larger bowl use a hand mixer or stand mixer to mash bananas with almond butter. Add honey, yogurt, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Once mixed thoroughly add the flour a bit at a time and mix until no white streaks remain, being cautious to not over mix.
- Pour banana bread batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in oven on center rack for 55-60 minutes. Check at 35 minutes and make a foil tent to cover the top to prevent too much browning around the sides and top of the loaf.
- Test with a wooden skewer for doneness. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes before flipping the banana bread out of the loaf pan. Finish cooling on wire rack before slicing.
- All ovens are different which is why it is important to check the banana bread often during the last few minutes of baking.