Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are the newest hot cocoa craze. After I watched a Youtube video and I knew I had to make luxury hot chocolate bombs. You can watch how I make them HERE.
If you have been on the internet, you have seen them. When I saw the hot chocolate bomb explode when the hot milk was poured over it, I was hooked. Let’s make these super easy chocolate spheres of deliciousness.
For this easy chocolate bomb recipe, you will not need a candy thermometer.
The only “special” thing you need is this silicone mold.
These are the "bomb" to watch them explode when dropped into hot milk.
I recommend using high quality melting chocolate.
Please your chocolate over a double boiler to slowly melt.
Once the chocolate is melted, transfer it to a bowl.
Use a spoon to fill the molds with chocolate.
Making sure there are not see-through areas.
Once you are finished filling them place the mold on a baking tray and transfer them to the refrigerator. Chill for 15 minutes.
While the mold is chilling, get your fillings ready.
After the chocolate is chilled, heat a plate (heat-proof) in the microwave until it is hot to the touch.
Place your bottom half on the plate for a few seconds to flatten the edges.
Fill the bottom half-sphere with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. Note: you may fill with peppermint, candies, and/or sprinkles.
Gently melt the top of the half-sphere on the heated plate. Then line it up with the filled bottom half.
You can garnish with candy melts, chocolate, peppermint, marshmallows, sprinkles, candy bars, cookie crumbs, etc.
Sprinkle on the candy while the melted candy is wet.
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 6 oz Dark Chocolate
- ¼ cup Hot Cocoa Mix
- ½ cup Mini Marshmallows If desired
- ¼ Candy Canes If desired
- 2 Tablespoons Peppermint Candy If desired
- Place a double boiler over a pan of simmering water
- Add chocolate wafers to the top of the double boiler
- Use a heat-proof spatula to stir constantly until 90% of the chocolate is melted. Using hot pads, remove the double boiler from the pan. Then place it over a cool pan to continue to melt the chocolate.
- Once all the chocolate is melted, scrape the melted chocolate into a bowl.
- Using a spoon, start filling the molds with the melted chocolate. Be careful to fill up the top edges.
- Once all the half spheres are filled, place the silicone mold on a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove chocolate from molds.
- Then, fill the bottom half of the spheres with 2 teaspoons of hot cocoa mix. Add marshmallow and/or other fillings.
- Heat a heat-proof plate in the microwave until hot to the touch. Then, gently place the top half-sphere with the open side face side down on the hot plate. Let it melt just for a few seconds so it will adhere to the bottom half.
- Place the top half of the sphere's melted edge on the bottom half lining up the edges.
- Return to refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- While the bombs are chilling, prepare toppings and decorations.
- If desired, decorate your chocolate bombs with melted white chocolate, candy melts, sprinkles, and/or candies.
- To serve, place one bomb in a large mug. Slowly pour eight ounces of medium-hot milk over the cocoa bomb.
- You can also serve by dropping the cocoa bomb into warm milk.
- If you have been on the internet, you have seen them. When I saw the hot chocolate bomb explode when the hot milk was poured over it, I was hooked. Let's make these super easy chocolate spheres of deliciousness.
- For this easy chocolate bomb recipe, you will not need a candy thermometer.
- The only "special" thing you need is this silicone mold.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners to decorate the tops. You can use the cupcake liners to handle them to prevent fingerprints on the chocolate.
- I used the melted chocolate as the glue to hold candies on the cocoa bombs.
- I used a Rubbermaid container to store my cocoa bombs. They last for a month or two while stored in a cool place in an air-tight container.
- These spheres of deliciousness are a special handmade gift that won't break the bank. They are a luxurious sweet treat everyone will appreciate. Wrap them in food-safe bags and add the printable tag.