Easy Green Beans Stir-fry
This Green Beans stir fry with grated coconut is delicious and comes together in less than 30 minutes! Green Beans or French beans, as known popularly here, are readily available produce in grocery stores. I love to buy a bunch when I make a trip to the farmer’s market or fresh produce store. You want to hear that snap when you break them halfway; that tells you they are new and good.
They are a good source of healthy carbohydrates, fiber, and proteins from a health perspective. Secondly, they are low in calories contain almost no fat and cholesterol. Finally, a cup of raw green beans contains 10% of recommended folate—most of the time, green beans are consumed as a stir fry side dish.
This recipe, however, has some delicious fresh ingredients like coconut, turmeric, garlic that elevate the flavor of the green beans when mixed along—a great side dish for a bowl of steamed rice and this delicious stewed spinach and lentils curry.
Ingredients needed to make this:
- Coconut oil : Adds to the flavor giving it a good musky coconutty taste.
- Grated Coconut: If you can get your hands on fresh grated coconut, its the best.If not, frozen grated coconut is available in the freezer aisle in most asian stores.
- Garlic & Shallots: These blend really well with beans , giving a good flavor.
- Turmeric: with all the good benefits , it adds a little yellow color as well.
- Green Chillies: Completely optional. It adds a little heat.
- French Green Beans: Select a good pile of fresh beans, washed and trimmed.
How to chop the green beans?
After rinsing the trimming the beans, place the a bunch of green beans in the food processor and finely chop them.Alternatively, you can chop them by hand ,which is a little more time consuming.
Looking for more recipes to try? Check these out:
- Easy Green Beans Stir-fry
- Flavorful Beets & Shredded Coconut Stir Fry
- Stewed Spinach and Lentils Curry
- Shrimp Risotto with Spinach & Peas.
- Mom’s One-Pot Chicken Roast
Easy Green Beans Stir-fry
- 1 lb French Green Beans Washed, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 Shallot or quarter of red onion, sliced
- 2 Green Chillies, optional,sliced
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, or any neutral oil
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and trim the green beans. After which, chop them finely.
- In a bowl , mix together, coconut, shallot, garlic, cumin seeds, green chilly and turmeric powder. Set aside.
- On medium heat, add oil to a wide pan. When warm, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Next add the Coconut mix and sauce well. Let it cook for about 3-4 minutes, till the coconut slightly starts changing its color. Don't burn the coconut mix.
- Now add the chopped green beans, salt ,a tsp of oil and sauce well with the mix.Cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Check on the beans, if they are still crunchy, cook for a few more minutes uncovered, till they're tender. Serve on the side of rice.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!