Vegan Pad Thai With Marinated Tofu
Vegetable Pad Thai with Marinated Tofu! An easy flavorful favorite dish that you can make easily at home within 30 minutes! And it's vegan!
My love for a good Veggie Pad Thai (and a Vegan Pad Thai) is really more like an obsession. I'm one of those people that ONLY order a Pad Thai at restaurants begging them to make it vegan and without fish sauce. This is why we learned to make some at home to satisfy our cravings! Everyone likes to make their Pad Thai a little differently but a good veggie Pad Thai is just a good veggie Pad Thai...you know what I mean?!
See here for more information on Fond
I love to pack my vegan Pad Thai recipe with vegetables and tofu for added nutrients and protein. I also don't always have bean sprouts on hand. And to be completely honest, they're too expensive to buy at the stores that have them available close by. That's when I utilize some homemade mung sprouts (never made by me and always made by my mother-in-law!).
- Marinate tofu: you really don't HAVE to marinate it but I think it adds a little extra flavor to the dish! I saute mine in a skillet but you can also bake it! When I am in a rush and don't want to marinate tofu, I like to use this Easy Tofu Recipe as a substitute.
- Rice Noodles: These work really well! I've found that I also love my Pad Thai made with thinner rice noodles.
- Veggies: I like to use bell peppers (packed with VITAMIN C!), sugar snap peas, broccoli, and carrots. Really, you can get creative and use a variety of vegetables to make it packed with nutrients.
- Pad Thai Garnishes: Lime, cilantro, peanuts, extra sriracha, and sprouts of your liking!
I like to marinate the tofu ahead of time but really, you need about 20 minutes for the flavors to soak in. So marinate the tofu, then whip up your Pad Thai so it's all done in 30ish minutes!
- Creamy Vegan Alfredo Pasta
- Vegan Peanut Corn Curry
- Vegan Tofu Tacos with Peanut Sauce
- Chana Masala Recipe
If you loved this Vegan Pad Thai recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe to my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Vegan Pad Thai With Marinated Tofu
- 1 package (14 Oz.) extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce; low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or sesame oil for cooking the tofu
Pad Thai Sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate*
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sriracha or chili garlic sauce optional for spice
- 6-8 oz rice noodles; I used Ocean's Halo which comes as a 6 oz pack.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- sriracha or chili garlic sauce
For the Marinated Tofu
- Press the tofu by wrapping it in an absorbent towel and placing something heavy on it to remove excess water. Do this for at least 20 minutes, the longer the better. Try to get as much water out as you can for a crispy tofu with a chewy center.
- While the tofu is pressing, in a small container with a lid, prepare the marinade for the tofu by mixing the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and maple syrup.
- After the tofu is pressed, cube the tofu and place in the medium container with the marinade. Close the lid and shake the container so the tofu is well-coated. Marinate the tofu for at least 20 minutes. The longer the better!
- Once the tofu is ready, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated tofu. Sauté on high heat for about 5-10 minutes, flipping occasionally to cook on all sides, until tofu has browned on each side.
For the Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the tamarind concentrate, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and sriracha (if using). Set aside.
For the Pad Thai
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and green onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the broccoli, red bell pepper, and carrots, and cook for about 5 minutes. Be careful to not let them get soggy. Add the snap peas last and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add prepared noodles and marinated tofu to the veggies.
- Pour the pad thai sauce over the vegetables and noodles and toss with tongs until the noodles and vegetables are combined and well coated with the sauce.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, peanuts, bean sprouts, and serve with a side of chili garlic sauce or sriracha.
- You may use ketchup as a replacement for tamarind concentrate.
- Bean sprouts aren't always easily accessible so using homemade mung sprouts is a great alternative.
- If you don't have time to marinate the tofu, pan-fry the tofu without marinating it turns out great!