Caesar Pesto Tofu
I never thought I’d eat tofu much less love to eat tofu.
As it turns out, there are all different kinds of tofu, and saying you don’t like tofu is like trying chicken masala, not liking it, and then saying you don’t like chicken at all.
In this recipe, I’ve marinated bite sized pieces of extra firm tofu overnight in a pesto sauce, then air fried it into crispy crouton-like pieces ( option to bake it if you don’t have an air fryer).
I’ve also deconstructed the salad by cutting the romaine in half and searing it in a hot pan for a few minutes, then topping it with a corn and sun-dried tomato salsa, the tofu “croutons” and a homemade vegan Caesar dressing that takes a hot second to bring together.
I had a friend to dinner who thought the plate pictured was for sharing. He was wrong.😊
Super easy to make and you can definitely swap out the protein source if tofu is not your thing.
Get a nice, golden brown sear on the romaine and it will take the idea of salad to a whole new level!
I am not ashamed to admit that I actually did, in fact, eat the whole thing!
Caesar Pesto Tofu
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese ( I used vegan)
- 1 cup milk of choice ( I used almond)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic ( about 2-3 cloves)
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, cut in half lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups of corn
- 1/2 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes and marinated in pesto
- hemp seeds (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and purée till smooth and creamy.
- Toss the tofu in a few spoonfuls of arrowroot, cornstarch or tapioca flour, then place in an air fryer set at 400 for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While the tofu is cooking, chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add them to a hot pan with the corn. Sauté in the oil from the tomatoes ( you can add a bit more oil if they start to stick) for a minute or two to heat and lightly toast the corn, stirring constantly. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan ( you might need to add a very light coating of oil if your pan isn’t non-stick) place the romaine, cut side down and sear a minute or two till golden.
- To serve, place the lettuce cut side up on a plate. Top with the corn and tomato mixture and the tofu. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle the hemp seeds on top.
- You can use regular tomatoes instead of sun-dried
- Make a simple pesto using only basil, lemon juice and oil with a pinch of salt or use a store-bought pesto.
- If you don’t want the tofu, swap it out for another protein source or just leave it off altogether.