Hearty Vegan Irish Stew
Old-fashioned Irish stew is a cold-weather hearty tradition. The updated vegan stew recipe is made with loads of healthy root vegetables, tofu, and rich stout beer broth. One bite and it is hard to believe this simple recipe is meatless.
Similar to traditional beef stew, this vegan stew recipe is made with thick and chunky root vegetables. Perfect for a chilly day, hearty root vegetables are a classic chilly day meal.
This stew is perfect for meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans. In fact, my meat-eating family loves this recipe on cold nights! It is funny, but they call it vegan beef stew. When the weather turns chilly, I break out my crockpot make my favorite hearty vegan stew and let it simmer slowly all day.
To replicate a beef broth I used Guinness beer. The rich broth adds a beef-like flavor that I cannot find with any other product. Guinness is also easy to find and vegan.
Hearty Vegan Irish Stew
- ▢ 8 ounce block extra firm tofu
- ▢ 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ▢ 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ▢ 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ▢ 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- ▢ 1 cup carrots, cut into round
- ▢ 1 cup celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- ▢ 2 cups potatoes, 1-inch cubs
- ▢ 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ▢ 2 teaspoons thyme
- ▢ 1 teaspoon oregano
- ▢ 2 bay leaves
- ▢ salt and black pepper to taste
- ▢ 2 cups vegetable stock
- ▢ 1 cup vegan stout or porter beer
- Tofu: Press the water out of the tofu—cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle with two tablespoons of cornstarch. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Evenly distribute the tofu along the bottom of the pan without the pieces touching. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes undisturbed. Turn the tofu over, add soy sauce and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes undisturbed. Remove the tofu and set aside.
- Saute the Vegetables: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and saute for 5 - 7 minutes, until the vegetables start to become soft. Add potatoes, garlic, thyme, oregano salt, and pepper, and saute for another 1 - 2 minutes.
- Simmer and Stew: Add vegetable broth, beer, and tofu. In a separate container, mix two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the stew and stir all ingredients together. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Garnish with parsley and serve.