How to Make Taco Soup
I remember a friend bringing taco soup to us after I had my daughter and we have been making it ever since! You can make it for a crowd, or eat half/freeze half and have several servings. I love leftovers because it means no cooking the next day.
Taco soup is a great meal for family movie night or a Super Bowl gathering. Along with the slow cooker of soup, set out bowls and spoons, along with all your toppings and let everyone help themselves.
If you’re planning a family fun night for Super Bowl, you might also want to try my Easy Spinach Dip, April’s Guacamole, Best Crispy Pan Pizza or Baked Brie with Puff Pastry, Apples + Honey. If that last one doesn’t sound Super Bowl-ish, it’s because I’m just there for the food and commercials!
This soup is so easy, the short version is brown the beef and onion, drain it and dump everything in the crock pot.
It’s delicious on it’s own, but the toppings make it even better– tortilla chips, fresh-cut avocado or guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream. Yum!
First, cook 1-1.5 pounds of ground beef cooked with 1/2 of a chopped onion. Cook until brown throughout and drain. Add the meat and onion to a slow cooker.
Next, drain the corn and the black olives, add to the slow cooker. You don’t need to drain any of the other vegetables or beans.
Add in all remaining cans and a packet of Ranch dressing mix and a packet of taco seasoning. Stir, and let it cook on low for 6 hours.
Topping ideas: guacamole or fresh avocado, tortilla or corn chips, grated cheese, diced tomatoes, green onion, sour cream.
Looking for more great soups? Try my Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup or this incredible copycat Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli.
Keep cozy, friends!
How to Make Taco Soup
- 1 1-ounce package ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 1 1/4-ounce package taco seasoning mix
- 1 small can black olives, drained and sliced (optional)
- 1 4 1/2-ounce cans diced green chilies
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans tomatoes with chilies
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 1/4-ounce can whole kernal corn, drained
- 1 15 1/2-ounce cans pink kidney beans
- 2 15-1/2 ounce cans pinto beans
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1–1.5 lb ground beef
- Optional toppings: Grated cheddar cheese, jalapenos, chopped green onion, sour cream, avocado, corn or tortilla chips.
- Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain fat.
- Add browned beef and onions to a large crockpot.
- Add the beans, corn, green onions, tomatoes, chilies, olives, and seasonings, and cook on low setting all day (6 to 8 hours) in a crockpot.
- Serve soup with desired toppings: Grated cheddar cheese, jalapenos, chopped green onion, sour cream, avocado, corn or tortilla chips.
- Adapted from this recipe: https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/taco-soup/
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!