2 hr 30 min
Chili is one of the most famous winter recipes out there, and the beauty of chili is that it's versatile and flexible, you can customize it with any vegetables and toppings.
I have my own personal take on this, and I had the pleasure to host my very first live cooking session with some colleagues / friends and it was fun! We made a hearty beef chili.
Sharing here guidelines to how I made it, you can adjust it to your liking.
I served mine with avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, radishes and a side of homemade oregano garlic flat bread - a hearty and warm meal to be enjoyed with friends or family, or even by yourself!
For the base
- - 1 lb ground beef or turkey (omit if vegetarian chili)
- - 2 yellow onions diced
- - 2 cloves garlic minced
- - 4 carrots diced
- - 2 Corn on the cob cut into 2” long pieces (can use 1 cup frozen / canned corn)
- - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- - 1 19oz can red beans (pinto or black beans work too)
- - 1 28oz ml can whole or diced tomatoes
- - 2 cups beef broth or water (if vegetarian, replace with vegetable broth- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- - 2 tbsp tomato paste
For the spices
- - 1 star anise
- - 1 bay leaf
- - 1 tbsp chili powder
- - 1 tbsp oregano
- - 1 tbsp cumin
- - ½ tbsp Paprika
- - ½ tbsp onion powder
- - ½ tbsp cayenne pepper
- - Salt and pepper to taste
For the toppings
- - Cheese
- - Cilantro
- - Avocado
- - Lime
- - Sour cream
- - Radishes
- - Heat up the oil, cook onions until soft then add garlic, carrots and stir.
- - Once carrots start cooking, add beef, all spices except start anise and bay leaf and cook
- - If using wine, add now and cook until wine evaporates
- - Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, combine
- - Add corn, beans, broth, star anise and bay leaf (they add nice flavors) and bring to a boil then turn down heat and let simmer for 60-75 min, until vegetables are soft and tender
- - Before serving, take out star anise and bay leaves
- - Serve with toppings of choice (cheese, cilantro, avocado, lime, sour cream, etc.)
- Vegetables and toppings are optional, pick and choose what you like!
Published May 27th, 2021 1:33 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!