Chunky Beef Crockpot Chili
8 hr 25 min
Easy chunky beef crockpot chili is made with chuck roast, beans and beer and cooked until tender for a deliciously sweet & spicy chili recipe.
Nothing beats a bowl of hearty chili topped with sour cream and cheese and served with a big ol’ hunk of cornbread…especially on a cold day.
This chunky beef crockpot chili is made with a chuck roast that gets rubbed with a mixture of coffee grinds, cocoa and chili powder, seared until perfectly browned, then placed in the crockpot along with tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, chipotle peppers, onions and beer.
It’s cooked low and slow until the meat is fall apart tender.
Serve with homemade cornbread, sour cream, shredded cheese and diced onions for best results ;).
Chunky Beef Crockpot Chili
- 2 lb chuck roast, fat trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar , divided
- 1 tbsp ground coffee
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1, 12 oz bottle of beer
- 12 oz diced tomatoes
- 1, 15.5 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15.5 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- sour cream, shredded cheese, diced onions, for serving (optional)
- Combine 1 tbsp brown sugar, coffee, cocoa, chili powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano in a small bowl. Place chunks of beef into a zip lock bag and add mixed spices. Shake to evenly combine.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet or cast iron pan. Add pieces of chuck roast (in batches to not overcrowd) and cook 2-3 min per side until browned. Place in bottom of crockpot.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add diced onions, cooking 3-4 minutes until slightly softened. Add beer and stir with wooden spoon to scrape up all those brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add onions and beer to crockpot.
- Add tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, chipotle pepper, remaining 1 tbsp of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar to the crockpot.
- Give everything a stir to combine, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the meat is fall-apart tender.
- Serve with diced onions, shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.
- You can use any type of bean you prefer
- If you don't have beer, beef stock can be substituted
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published January 7th, 2021 1:24 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
3 of 5 comments
What can I add instead of sweet potatoes or can I leave them out? I'm not a fan of them. Also I love chili and this sounds AMAZING and I want to try it very soon but I cannot eat spicy foods, I have IBS. So the Chipotle and Adobe sauce is out. Is there something else you recommend for flavor?
I’m like Teresa and would also be interested in what else you would recommend for flavor