Vegan Potato Salad
Soft potatoes, crunchy pickles and creamy sauce make this easy salad so scrumptious.
Why love Vegan Potato Salad?
- simple and quick to prepare
- very hearty – can serve as a meal itself
- no mayo
- very budget friendly
- 100% plant based
- good also next day – great work lunch
- fantastic BBQ or garden party salad
Ingredients in Vegan Potato Salad
I love that the ingredients in this salad are simple and easy to get, and dressing is very creamy although it doesn’t contain mayo.
Baby potatoes are much more delicate, moist and less starchy than mature ones. Their skin in thin and they usually remain intact when cooked, which makes them such a perfect choice for salads.
Where I live small potatoes are considered reject; unworthy any culinary efforts. In Cyprus potato is considered edible when it’s at least size of the fist. Good for me! I buy lovely baby potatoes for 30 cents per kilo on our local farmers market.
You can prepare vegan potato salad using regular size potatoes and cutting them in smaller pieces too. I just find the baby potato version tastier and prettier.
PICKELED CUCUMBERS – GHURKINS
Now here you have few options, you can use pickled cucumbers, so called gherkins (they are usually pickled with vinegar, mustard seeds and other spices).
My favorite version however is with cucumbers from the brine – brined pickles. Instead of vinegar, only salt and water is used to preserve this type of pickles. They are typical for eastern Europe, so you can get them in Polish, Bulgarian or Romanian shops.
This type of brined pickles is actually super healthy and promotes good gut bacteria.
If you are not fan of pickles at all, you can substitute them with fresh cucumber, but then you may want to add a bit more onion.
Any type of good quality canned peas is good. You can also use frozen sweet peas and boil them for around 4-5 minutes. Strain them and put in the ice cold water to stop process of boiling immediately. Drain them well and they are ready to be added to the salad.
I like to use red onion, it is my favorite type for any salad. Shallots will be a good choice too, or a bunch of spring onions with a green part.
Any sweet and crispy apple variety will do well. Juicy and sweet Honeycrisp, crisp Gala, sweet-tart Jonagold. Or maybe delicate Golden Delicious?
Many potato salads use mayo as a dressing, but not this one. Dressing in this vegan potato salad is fresh, tangy and intensive. Creamy, due to very simple trick.
We will need mustard (preferably one sweet and one tangy), some kind of sweetener (agave or maple syrup for example), gooood! quality olive oil, vinegar, and from spices department just salt & pepper.
Want more vegan goodness?Sign up for a new recipe newsletter ! HOW TO SERVE VEGAN POTATO SALAD
It is great barbeque salad. It pairs perfectly with vegan burger or anything from the grill.
I find this vegan potato salad a fantastic light summer lunch on it’s own.
Like salads? Try also:
Vegan Chicken Salad – with Crispy Soy Chicken
Vegan Egg Salad – with one magic ingredient that makes it so real
How to make Vegan Potato Salad
What’s so great about baby potatoes? Aside from the fact that they are delish.. No need to peel them.
There are so many vitamins inside and right under potato skin, we should eat them as they are as often as possible.
Clean and scrub the potatoes under running water to get rid of any dirt. Cook them with some salt for 10-15 minutes until tender. Don’t overcook! as they will fall apart in the salad. You can check them with the fork to make sure.
While waiting for the potatoes to cook and cool you can prepare remaining ingredients of the salad.
CHOP AND MIX INGREDIENTS
Drain the peas from the brine. If you are using frozen sweet peas cook them for 3-5 minutes and rinse with ice cold water to stop boiling process.
Chop pickled or brined cucumbers into 1cm / half inch pieces.
Depending on the type of apple and your preference you can peel it or leave the skin. Again, apple skin has loads of vitamins and fiber in it. Dice it similar way to pickles.
I like to chop onion finely for this potato salad, but you can also go for slices or strips.
Start with the proportions from the recipe. Put everything in the jar and close it very well. Shake the jar in all directions (like you wanted to make a drink in a shaker). This will cause the oil to combine well with other ingredients for a nicely creamy dressing.
Set the jar aside and open it after a minute. Try the dressing and adjust it according to your liking.
Are you a fan of mayo and want to make the dressing even more creamy? Check out the recipe for The Best Vegan Mayo and add 2 table spoons of it to other dressing ingredients.
ADD DRESSING AND MIX EVERYTHING
Mix apple, pickles, onion and peas with the dressing, salt and pepper. We want to mix everything very well now, so that later we can just gently add the potatoes in.
After your baby potatoes cooled down you can cut them in half or in four pieces. It is much easier to cut potatoes when they are cold, so sometimes I even cook them one day before I want to prepare this salad.
ADD POTATOES AND ADDJUST SEASONING
Gently mix the potatoes in so they get covered with creamy dressing. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for at least half an hour. The taste of the salad really gets better with time and after cooking down.
DECORATE AND ENJOY !
I like the addition of fresh dill or spring onion to this vegan potato salad. You can mix them in or just use as a garnish on top.
Vegan Potato Salad
- 500g / 1 pound baby potatoes
- 1 can sweet peas (400ml / 15 oz)
- 5-6 medium pickled cucumbers
- 1 medium apple (sweet)
- 1/2 red onion (or 1 shallot)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill or chives
- 2 tbsp spicy mustard (e.g. french, dijon)2 tbsp delicate mustard (e.g. yellow mustard)2 tbsp sweetener (agave syrup, maple syrup)2-3 tbsp olive oil of good quality1 tbsp apple cider vinegarsalt and freshly ground pepper
- Clean and scrub the potatoes (no need to peel off the skin). Cook in water with 1tsp salt until tender. Depending on the size of your potatoes it will take 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime open and drain sweet peas, chop pickles, onion and apple (you may leave or remove apple skin).
- Put all the ingredients of dressing in a small jar, close it and shake well until everything is combined. This will help making your dressing creamy. Try and adjust seasoning according to your liking.
- Drain potatoes and leave them to cool.
- Mix all the ingredients with the dressing, add chopped dill or spring onion if using.
- Cut your baby potatoes in half (or four pieces depending on their size). Gently mix the potatoes into the salad, not to break them too much,
- It’s best to chill your salad in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, so the flavors combine perfectly.
- Because we have a rather distinct dressing in this salad, we want to keep the spices simple. Salt and freshly ground pepper will do very well.
- Check detailed instructions of every step below the recipe.