Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Recently, I have been the queen of eating cold pasta. As a kid my nickname was the Pasta Queen, there wasn’t a pasta I wouldn’t eat. There is nothing wrong with that, let me tell you. This Mediterranean Pasta Salad has been my go to fav. Both freshly warmed or cold as leftovers, I cannot get enough. It’s light, yet dense, and creamy, yet crisp. Mediterranean flavors do just that to you, keep the dish so light and airy while filling you up and curbing all of those cravings. Can’t wait to dig into this again for some lunch today!
If you haven’t tried our Mediterranean Chicken and Eggplant Fries, it’s a must! Phillip spent weeks working out the seasoning for the chicken and we have been making it in batches now to use for our grilled chicken to add to sandwiches, wraps, salads, or just to eat by itself. We used the same seasoning in this recipe. It’s not an over powering flavor so it’s a perfect addition to recipes.
We tried to keep many fresh flavors in this dish. Personally, we chose to add tomato, cucumber, red onion, arugula, and feta to this Mediterranean Pasta Salad. However, there are definitely a few other things you can add and or swap out. Roasted red peppers are something we’ve made in this before and absolutely love! But we cautious to try to pat them a bit if you buy store bought canned roasted red peppers. While they are delicious they sit in oil that will make this dish greasy instead of light and crisp.
Yep! You read that right, this Mediterranean Pasta Salad goes both ways. When we first made this it was meant to be a warm dish and I do love this pasta warm. But, it is just as yummy cold. Sometimes I think I like this better cold. Everything cools down and the pasta and veggies basically marinate in the sauce for hours. I always steal a bite before I put it in the microwave or back on the stove to heat up and that’s when I realized how great it was cooled down. So I decided to forgo that long microwave minute and just eat the pasta cold, no shame.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 lime squeezed
- 1 lb penne
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 1 cup english cucumber sliced thin
- 1 cup red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup feta crumbled
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp garlic diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- In a large zip lock bag combine all Mediterranean Chicken ingredients, shake until chicken is well coated and let rest in fridge for at least 20 minutes
- Bring large pot of water to a boil and add penne to cook until al dente
- While pasta is cooking bring a saute pan to medium heat
- Place chicken on pan and cook about 5-7 minutes on both sides or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°
- Remove chicken from pan and let rest before slicing. Once rested, slice the chicken
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat add lemon juice and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Stir in white wine to sauce pan and stir. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until wine is cooked off
- Strain pasta from water and place pasta in a large serving bowl
- Chop all veggies and add tomato, english cucumber, red onion and arugula. Carefully mix pasta and veggies together
- Slowly pour in the white wine sauce and mix up again
- Add the chicken and feta and toss once more before serving with a wedge of lemon
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!