Green Curry Buttermilk Roast Chicken
This Green Curry Buttermilk Roast Chicken is a fun twist on Samin Nosrat’s buttermilk roast chicken. Green curry and buttermilk work together beautifully to create this wonderfully fragrant, juicy chicken. The sauce is optional but sometimes we deserve to gild the lily 😉
The original recipe is in her book, Salt Fat Acid Heat, if you don’t have this book go get it. It is absolutely amazing!!
ok so back to the chicken. The buttermilk acts as a tenderizer. The addition of salt helps retain its moisture. This chicken is going to be the juiciest chicken you’ve ever had. Plus the buttermilk gives the roast chicken a beautiful color when its done. Absolutely gorgeous! I added the green curry because I like green curry lol and I wanted to see how it would turn out. Needless to say it turned out fabulous.
Now I do serve a dipping sauce to go with the chicken, I’m always making sauces to go on the side. In my family we like sauces to dip and drench lol. its not needed but recommended cuz its soooooo good!! and its not just for this chicken, you’re gonna want to save this one for sure.
One more thing before we cook…I’m a huge fan of spatchcocking chicken, which just means, removing the back and flattening it. This speeds up cooking time and it ensures even cooking throughout. You don’t have to do this if you don’t want, just roast the chicken whole. Cooking time will have to be adjusted but the result is the same.. juicy delicious chicken 🙂
Watch this quick tutorial by Martha Stewart on spatchcocking for a quick visual
Need a side for this Green Curry Buttermilk Roast Chicken? Click here for my Perfectly fluffy white rice.
Green Curry Buttermilk Roast Chicken
- 5lb chicken, spatchcocked (back removed and flattened)
- 2.5 tbsp green curry paste
- 2.5 cups of buttermilk
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
Herby Ginger Garlic Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Take the green curry paste and rub it all under the skin of the chicken.. rub it all over, breasts, legs.. you're going to have to lift the skin a little to do this, just make sure its all over the meat of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into the ziplock bag and add the buttermilk and salt. close the bag and massage it a bit. The chicken should be submerged in the milk. place it in your fridge, let this marinade for 6-12 hours.
- Take the chicken 30 minutes before you plan to cook and preheat your oven to 375F
- Remove the chicken from the bag, remove the excess marinade and place on your sheet pan. Sprinkle some salt over the chicken, its not a lot, just a light dusting.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, turning the sheet pan in the oven half way through cooking time to ensure even browning. Everyone's oven is different so your chicken is done when a thermometer inserted by the thigh bone joint reads 165 degrees and the juices run clear.. for me it was 1 hr and 10 mremove the chicken from the oven and let it rest.
- While the chicken is resting make the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine... the sugar needs to be dissolved.. add a pinch of salt and some cracked black pepper.
- To serve , Break down the chicken into pieces and place on a platter. Serve the sauce on the side or poured right on top.
- will need a sheet pan and ziplock bag
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!