Mushy Pea Curry
So the name of this recipe may not sound the most appealing, but you're just going to have to trust me on this one!
This recipe has all of the features of a classic Chinese take-out style curry. It consists of a rich, lightly spiced, thick sauce which is made from chopped tomatoes, baked beans and you guessed it....mushy peas!
This recipe is so versatile, you really can add anything you like to it, but I chose to make it a chicken curry. Why not try adding cooked pork, beef, shrimp, or an assortment of vegetables if you're catering for vegetarians?
A thick, warming, lightly spiced curry, packed full of protein and vegetables lurking in the back of your store cupboard.
Tomatoes, beans and peas are blended together to make the base of the sauce.
In this version, chicken, onions and mushrooms are cooked until golden before being mixed in with the curry sauce.
Then spices and seasoning is added to the blended sauce and cooked down to make a delicious Chinese style curry.
Mushy Pea Curry
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin baked beans
- 2 x 300g (10oz) tins Mushy peas
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bitesized chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsps medium curry powder
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Place all of the tinned ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth and fully combined.
- Heat a large wok until hot and add the oil.
- Add the chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper, then the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and the vegetables are soft and golden.
- Pour in the blended sauce mixture and add the spices and soy sauce then season well with a good pinch of salt.
- Return the chicken to the pan, then bring the curry to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer until it has become really thick, and the chicken is warmed through, around 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with fried rice.
- While I understand Mushy peas may not be quite as common in the US, they can be purchased online and Bachelors is a well known brand. I have not attempted to make this curry without mushy peas and am therefore unable to suggest a substitute at this time, but if you try regular peas or something else, please let me know how it went!