Purple coleslaw ... a nostalgic classic! A perfect side dish at your next braai or barbecue. You can go the traditional route and use a green cabbage shredded with some carrots, or you can add a colourful twist by replacing the carrots with a red cabbage for that pink and purple splash of colour.
It's a recipe that's easy to double up and you can add ingredients to suit your taste. I've added apple and raisins for that fresh sweetness and crunchy texture. Try and prepare this dish in advance and store in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two. This will allow the flavour and vibrant colours to develop even more.
Serve with Crispy Fried Chicken or Barbecue Roast Chicken; with braaied (barbecued) chops or ribs; on a pulled pork burger or tacos.
- ½ red cabbage head, shredded
- 2 unpeeled red apples, coarsely grated
- 125ml (½ cup) large seedless raisins
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) lemon juice
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) wholegrain mustard
- 60ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- Handful of Asian Mix microgreens (optional)
- Place the shredded cabbage, grated apples and raisins in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice, wholegrain mustard and mayonnaise in a separate small mixing bowl.
- Pour this salad dressing over the salad ingredients and mix together well until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or two before serving for best flavour and colour results.
- Serve cold.