Have you tried these chickpeas? Kala Chana or Black Chickpeas are my personal favorite and I love playing around with these little bombs to make different salad versions. They are rich in protein, fiber and are known to offer numerous health benefits
You can pressure cook overnight soaked chickpeas and they're ready to use for salads or curries. They are used pretty much in Indian cuisine, curries are paired with rice or roti and salad versions are endless.
I tossed cooked chickpeas in a few handful of everyday Indian spices and then added veggies for an extra crunch. You can make it as delicious as you want using veggies and spices of choice. This salad is great for meal prep or even a quick weekday meal.
It is essential to soak black or white chickpeas for at least 6-8 hours or overnight, they become easier to digest and cook faster as well. Black chickpeas are high in protein, can be cooked on stovetop but cooking them in a pressure cooker or instant pot are faster ways.
The handful of spices used in this recipe are easy to find in an Indian grocery store or in the spice section of any super market/grocery stores.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds + pinch of heeng (asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp each of salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, dry mango + pomegranate powder
- Juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tsp black salt,
- 1/2 onion, 2 tomatoes, 3/4 cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (black)
- In a pan take olive oil, on low medium heat add cumin seeds + pinch of heeng, let it splutter. Add all the spices: salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, dry mango + pomegranate powder. Toss spices with the oil and let cook until bubbly but not burnt.
- Add cooked chickpeas or chana (approx 3 cups cooked) toss well for 6-7 mins until spices are well coated and water is completely dried.
- Remove from heat, add lime juice, black salt, chopped onion, tomato, cucumber, cilantro and combine. Serve warm.
- Wash 2 cups chickpeas 4-5 times, soak overnight in 6 cups water, drain and rinse. Pressure cook chickpeas with 1 tsp salt and 4 cups water in Instant pot for 40 minutes with natural release pressure or in a pressure cook for 5 whistles and keep on low heat for 20 minutes.
Sounds yummy, and would like to try this but where do you find the “unusual” ingredients?