Citrus Barbecue Wings
If you are looking to grill and have been craving chicken wings during quarantine like me, then I would totally make these wings. Most people use Franks hot sauce for chicken wings, but I STRONGLY encourage you to make this sauce. There is nothing better than this Citrus Barbecue Sauce. The sauce can go well with ribs, pork chops and chicken wings. I have even put it on a salad before. It’s ABSOLUTELY phenomenal!
This is one of the first dishes I ever made with my father that brought a connection between us a few years back. This recipe would make everyone happy when it was placed at the dinner table. Rain or shine, my father and I would sit by the grill and wait for that nice char to form. You can finish the wings on the grill if you like or you can schmear them with the sauce and finish them in the oven - whatever you prefer.
Cooking the wings for a longer period of time will create a nice char.
Citrus Barbecue Wings
- 10 Chicken Wings
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
Citrus Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon citrus marmelade
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the grill to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, citrus marmalade, minced garlic, lemon juice, horseradish and red pepper flakes.
- Add the chicken wings into a pan or a big plate and with a cooking brush, brush olive oil on both sides of each wing. Add salt and pepper to your liking on each side as well.
- The total cooking time will be 25 minutes on the grill if you would like a nice char on the chicken wings. Place the wings on the grill for 10 minutes and close the grill. Open the grill and flip the wings to the other side for another 10 minutes and close the grill. For the last 5-10 minutes, keep the grill open and you will brush the sauce on each wing, flip and repeat on the other side. Repeat about 4 times over and over for maximum flavor!
- Place on a plate and squeeze half a lemon on it. Serve and enjoy.
- Leave the grill open and grill for extra time if you want your chicken to be more charred.