These Apple Burritos have a quick homemade apple pie filling in the center and are then wrapped in NUCO Coconut Wraps. There is no deep frying, only baking, so they are a lot healthier. These burritos are the perfect autumn dessert that any level of cook can make!
Why you need to make Apple Burritos:
- The burritos are baked, not deep fried
- Homemade apple pie filling is quick and easy and requires only a handful of ingredients
- Nuco Wraps are made with one ingredient: Organic coconut
- These apple burritos are refined sugar-free, gluten-free and grain-free
- Because it’s finally autumn! Bring on the desserts!
Not all apples are created equal and it’s important to remember that when it comes to baking. When using apples in pies or tarts you will want to avoid apples like the super soft Mcintosh. Mcintosh apples combined with heat turn them into total mush. I learned in culinary school that Granny Smith apples were the best for baking and I can say 10 years later, they are still my top choice. Granny Smith apples are tart so they contrast well to sweeteners and have a firm texture which holds up to baking in the oven.
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled & small diced (about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp water
- 5 NUCO Coconut Wraps
- Add the small diced granny smith apples to a sauce pan along with the maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a slow boil.
- Allow the apples to cook for about ten minutes or until softened but can still hold their shape. You do not want them mushy. Once they are softened, mix the tapioca starch and water together and pour into the apple mixture. The mixture will start to thicken. Once thick, remove from the heat and allow to cool for a moment.
- While the apple pie filling is cooling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once the apples are cooled slightly, lay one of the NUCO Coconut Wraps on the counter and scoop 1/2 cup of the apple pie filling in the middle. Fold the left and right side of the wrap towards the middle and then bring the bottom of the wrap to the middle and roll. See the pictures above for guidance. Place the burrito on the baking tray with the edge of the wrap on the bottom so it does not come unfolded. Continue with the remaining wraps.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for about ten minutes. The edges will start to brown. Once the burrito is evenly brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Enjoy!
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!