Chilli Con Cottage Pie
Warning this dish contains the ultimate comfort food...strong enough to make you fall into a hole of deliciousness ⚠️
Chilli con cottage pie 🥧
Yes I’ve gone and done it, combined two classic comfort dishes into one pie! My ultimate favourite dish chilli on carne, with a smashed buttery onion mash on top! Baked to perfection 👌
WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?!
This is another vegetarian recipe for you, but if you fancied meat you could simply change for a meat mince alternative. Saying that, yves veggie mince is by far the best mince alternative I’ve found out there! It replicates the texture of meat so well, without the greasy oily residue! It really is the perfect texture for this dish!
Chilli con carne is such a flavoursome hearty dish, which I often serve on a baked potato. Which got me thinking! How about combining them into a pie. The buttery mashed potatoes went perfectly with the rich meaty tasty sauce!
Honestly this dinner is a game change, so be sure to let me know when you’ve made it! for more vegetarian and vegan recipes please check my Instagram :)
happy pie day!
Pre cooked pie
Chilli con carne base
Chilli Con Cottage Pie
- 1/2 pack of veggie mince. I used the amazing @yvesveggiecuisine and it’s hands down the best mince substitute out there
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- 3 big cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes & can of water
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp Tomato purée
- 4 Cubes of dark chocolate
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 4/5 potatoes
- 3 spring onions
- 2 big knobs of butter
- Salt and pepper
- Sweat down your onions in a large saucepan for 10 mins. Then repeat with your celery and garlic for 5. Again with your pepper for 5.
- Add in your spices and cook them out for a few minutes. Then add your purée
- Now add in your veggie mince, tomatoes and beans. Add in a tins worth of water and stir well.
- Add your dark choc, and wosetershire sauce and simmer on a low heat for at least 40 mins.
- Meanwhile chop your potatoes into small chunks (DO NOT PEAL). Boil the potatoes for approx 15/20 mins until they are soft but still firm.
- Drain the water and smash them lightly still keeping some chunks to the texture.
- Add your butter salt and pepper and spring onions and leave to cook.
- Make your pie when your chilli is cooked, allow it to cook first. Cook at 400f for 30/40 minutes!
wonderful receptors!!! To W
As a kid, my mom often served chili over mashed potatoes. With five kids, four of them being boys, meal extenders were popular! It's still one of my favorite comfort meals, and I'm partial to some sharp cheddar garnish.