Easy Chocolate Babka
Babkas are famous here in Israel! Every Jewish bakery has their own recipe and most families do too. Some people like a dry, cake-ey babka and some like one filled with chocolate. Some do a cinnamon filling and some use melted chocolate, while others use cocoa powder. And there are dairy babkas and non dairy babkas and butter-dough and egg free dough!! So many options!!
This recipe is a mix- its the one I most often make. I usually make a babka for shabbat breakfast, called KIDDISH, and I dont fancy making both challah dough and a separate babka dough- so I use the same one!!
This is my favorite egg free water challah recipe, but divvied down for a smaller portion. the babka is soft and delicious, and filled with a simple filling of chocolate spread and crushed cookies. try it!
Easy Chocolate Babka
- 1 Tbs dry instant yeast
- 1/2 Tbs salt
- 3/4 plus 1/3 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3-4 cups sifted flour
- one jar of your favorite chocolate spread
- 4 lotus cookies
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP water
- mix yeast with warm water and a sprinkle of sugar. let sit and bubble
- add in sugar.
- add in oil and yeast mixture.
- add in flour- mix after 3 cups- to create a soft dough. Add more flour if the dough is very sticky. It should pull away easily from the sides of the bowl.
- turn onto a clean floured surface and knead, adding flour as necessary, till the dough is soft and easy to work with. this takes around 7 min.
- place dough in a lightly floured or oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel for about 1 hour- or until doubled in size.
- FILL AND LET REST
- Cut the dough into half.
- roll it out into a long rectangle and spread over chocolate spread.
- Crush 2 cookies over the chocolate spread(2 crushed cookies per babka). roll up the dough into a log.
- slice the log in half almost all the way to the top, leaving just a little connected. Cross the two strands over each other in a twist.
- Place in a rectangular baking pan fitted with a baking sheet and cover.
- let babkas rest for 30-45 min. they should puff up quite a bit.
- preheat oven to 175 celcius.
- place babka in pre-heated oven and bake for 30-45 minutes, until a lovely golden color on top.
- *TIP* finish with a sugar brush
- place sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes. brush over the baked babkas while hot.