Buffalo Chicken Dip With Greek Yogurt
This Buffalo Chicken Dip with greek yogurt is so easy to make and delicious to eat. You will want to make this every week! Add pasta and you can turn it into a dinner too!
I usually publish dinner recipes. But this Buffalo Chicken Dip with greek yogurt deserves an exception! This is an ooey gooey, creamy, cheesy, spicy, and utterly delicious dip. Shredded chicken is mixed with buffalo sauce, cream cheese, greek yogurt, scallions, garlic, and celery. It all melts together for one tasty dip!
This is a great dish for a Summer picnic, holiday party, Super bowl party, family get together, or any other party.
Simple Ingredients and Substitutes
- Chicken breasts, skinless boneless – Or you can use shredded rotisserie chicken. I always have raw chicken breasts in the freezer as they can last up to 12 months if in an airtight container or packaging. Check out all of my tips on Prepping and Storing Chicken for Easier Dinners.
- Buffalo sauce I used Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce. You can use any other brand you like. If you only have Hot sauce, then you can make Buffalo sauce by simmering 1 cup of the hot sauce with ½ cup butter, 1-2 tablespoons white vinegar, and 2 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce.
- Olive Oil – This is for the sheet pan if you are roasting the chicken to shred it.
Rest of the Dip
- Celery Stalks – celery is a nod to buffalo wings that are usually served with celery. They provide fresh flavor plus crunch. You can leave out or substitute with green or red bell peppers, or even diced carrots.
- Scallions (green onions) – I love scallions for the green color and mild onion-flavor. You can swap with finely minced yellow or red onion or even shallots.
- Plain Greek Yogurt – I used full fat, but you can also use low fat or nonfat greek yogurt. You can substitute with plain yogurt, but it is thinner than the greek style. Therefore, you will want to strain the yogurt in a towel or cheesecloth for a couple hours in the fridge to remove the excess water content. You can also substitute with sour cream.
- Cream Cheese – Regular full fat cream cheese or Low Fat cream cheese will both work. You can substitute with marscapone, cottage cheese, or a combination of these with even more greek yogurt.
- Buffalo Sauce – I used Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce. See above under ‘Chicken Ingredients’ for substitutes or how to make your own.
- Blue cheese crumbles – Blue Cheese dressing is typically served with buffalo chicken wings and that’s why it’s fantastic in this dip. You can substitute with different cheese, such as shredded cheddar, goat cheese, jack or other cheese you prefer.
- Garlic Powder – I like having all of the seasoning in the same size/texture. Ground or powder will blend more evenly. However, you could substitute in garlic flakes.
- Onion powder – Same as with the garlic powder, you can substitute with onion flakes.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – This is for melting on top of the dip. You can substitute with any melting shredded cheese, such as monterey jack, pepper jack, or mozzarella.
- Things to Dip! Great options are Pita chips Tortilla chips, Celery sticks, Carrot sticks
Recipe Equipment Needed
For this recipe, you need a baking dish or casserole dish that’s approximately 8×8 or 9×9 or similar.
I also roasted the chicken breasts on a small sheet pan.
Time Saving Prep-Ahead Steps for Buffalo Chicken Dip
We are all extremely busy and making dinner during the week can be overwhelming. Here are steps you can prepare ahead to save time on busy nights!
The first step is to prep the chicken. If you bought a rotisserie chicken, go ahead and shred it. If you have raw chicken, preheat the oven to 400 F degrees. Cut the chicken breasts into 2-3 pieces. Place the chicken on an oiled sheet pan and toss with the Buffalo Sauce. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
Let the chicken cool enough to touch and then shred it.
Dice the celery. Slice the scallions.
Bring the cream cheese to room temperature so that it is soft enough to mix (no more than an hour before) or warm it in a microwave safe dish for 10 seconds to soften it.
Cooking Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
To a large bowl, add the shredded chicken, celery, scallions (reserve some of the greens for garnish on top), yogurt, softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce, blue cheese crumbles, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix to thoroughly combine.
Transfer the dip to an 8×8, 9×9 or similar size oven safe dish. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake the dip in the oven for 10 minutes or until its warmed through and the top is melted. Serve and enjoy!!
Alternative Cooking Methods
You can also make this recipe in the slow cooker or crock pot. First cook and shred the chicken. Then add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker instead of a casserole dish. Set the slow cooker to 4-6 hours.
Can I use chicken thighs in this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe?You can use chicken thighs in this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe instead of breasts. I recommend sticking with boneless skinless thighs for easy prep and cooking. The recipe instructions will be the same for thighs as the breasts
Can I make this dip in advance?You can make this Buffalo Chicken Dip in advance and then store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, you can place in a wide bottom pot or pan covered in the oven at 350 F degrees for 15-20 minutes until heated through. You can add a splash of milk if needed for moisture.
Is this Buffalo Chicken Dip Gluten Free?This Buffalo Chicken Dip with Greek Yogurt is gluten free with the ingredients listed. Check all packaging ingredient labels to ensure that it does not contain gluten.
ENJOY! 😍 Carrie
Buffalo Chicken Dip With Greek Yogurt
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless (or 2 cups shredded chicken)
- 4 Tablespoons Buffalo sauce I used Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
Rest of the Dip
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 4 Scallions (green onions)
- 8 ounces Plain Greek Yogurt you can substitute sour cream
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened you can substitute cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Sauce I used Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 1/4 cup Blue cheese crumbles you can substitute shredded cheddar or other cheese
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper or white pepper
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Things to Dip! Great options are Pita chips, Tortilla chips, crackers, Celery sticks, Carrot sticks
Prep Ahead Steps
- Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees. Cut the chicken breasts into 2-3 pieces. Place the chicken on an oiled sheet pan and toss with the Buffalo Sauce. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let the chicken cool enough to touch and then shred it.
- Dice the celery. Slice the scallions.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature so that it is soft enough to mix (no more than an hour before) or warm it in a microwave safe dish for 10 seconds to soften it.
Mix and Heat the Dip
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, celery, scallions (reserve some of the greens for garnish on top), yogurt, softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce, blue cheese crumbles, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Transfer the dip to an 8×8, 9×9 or similar size oven safe dish. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake the dip in the oven for 10 minutes or until its warmed through and the top is melted. Serve and enjoy!!
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!