The Masala Rice
Use up the leftover rice or grains to make this quick spiced fried rice.
Ready in 30 Minutes! We don’t eat a lot of plain rice in my house but I always make a little bit every week just so we can make some quick fried rice as a last minute lunch option!
Use up the leftover rice or grains and the assorted vegetables in the fridge. I serve these with spiced turmeric raita. Raita is a kind of a dip made with yogurt which is salted and spiced with cumin.
Make this with your favorite spices and let me know in the comments how it worked out!
I love this completely
Look at the lovely colors!
The Masala Rice
- 3 cups of cooked rice white preferably basmati rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 red chili powder
- 2 cups chopped veggies like cauliflower, green beans, broccoli
- 1/2 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet at medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for a minute. Add garlic, ginger and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add coriander, garam masala, paprika, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add veggies, salt . Mix and cook for 8 to 9 minutes. Look for veggies that want to have a crunch in and cover and cook until the veggies are al dente.
- Add peas, cooked rice, a splash of water and lemon juice and toss well. At this point you can fold in some baby spinach. Cover and cook for 2 minutes let sit for another 2 minutes to heat and steam well. Garnish with lemon and cilantro.
- Serve with Boondi Raita (Yogurt dip)!
- Boondi you will get readymade packet in the Indian stores